3d upholstered surface

Thanks Carl.

This texture on this upholstered headboard is what we are looking for. I was hoping to use the interpolated surface tool and pull points down but it doesn't behave like I had hoped.

We ended up cropping this image to make a texture - worked pretty well in our 3d model.

I would still like to be able to make the 3d version. I think we are going to make several "tornado shaped" solids and subtract them from another solid to create the same effect.

Good day Jeffroyer

I see now what you are trying to create.

At what scale will you be viewing these renderings? It will be maybe better just to use the texture as it would use up less memory.

It will be great to know if VW could do something like this, just to know if it is capable of it. I forsee a very complex symbol with nurbs and maybe using the reshape tool, depending which way will work. Will go see and play around with some tools.

Maybe now that you have added a pic of what you want, someone else will have a sulotion.

Keep Well

I think it could be made with some nurbs objects. I've discovered that mastering nurbs is all about practice and learning how the tools respond. When I first started trying to reshape in 3D space it was a bit of a mind bender.

I may give it a go over the weekend to see how possible it is. What size of bed do you need it for (width and height of the headboard)?

KM

Creating the 3d upholstered surface simply requires describing the minimum surface topography.

By minimum I mean the basic "NURBS fractal sliver(s)" which symbolically replicate via reflections & rotations to form the total surface in 3d space.

The multiple iterations of the entire surface are easily described with a single editable fractal.

Assigning Classes and experimenting with shapes is easy with only a single surface to worry about !

This little ' 1/8 sliver' even includes the ' 1/8 button' fractal.

Ok, here?s a kick at an example with some instructions. I?ve concentrate on the shapes, not finishing or texturing. Note that I did everything in top/plan view or top view and then rotated the finished object.

- the back panel is a straight extrude of the entire outline

- the outer border was made by using the offset tool and then the paint bucket option of the polygon tool. I had to draw a horizontal guideline to contain the shape. It was then extruded and the edges filletted.

- I did a 2D layout of the diamond pattern. I traced one diamond as a polygon and converted it to a nurbs curve. I then used the ?Create Surface From Curves? menu command (3D Power Pack I believe). In the object info palette I increased the U Degree and V Degree each to 2 (From what I can tell, 1 is a flat plane, 2 is a simple curve). With the nurbs surface still selected, choose ?Show Points? in the object info palette. Change the Move drop down menu to ?Vertex Only?. Using the point arrows, step through the points until the centre one flashes and is selected. Change its Delta Z height to make the diamond puff towards you. Note that this is the amount you are moving the point, not the surface itself (I moved about 4.25? to get the diamond just over an inch high).

- I repeated this process to make the custom edge pieces.

- I used the Move 3D command to move the objects into their relative relationships (ie. the diamonds and the border above the back panel) since they were all generated on the working plane.

- I then duplicated the various diamond variations filling the upholstered boundary. At this point I also deleted by guide lines, except the outline for the entire inner panel.

- I grouped all the diamond pieces and the outline of the inner panel I?d saved. Working in the group, I converted the outline to a nurbs curve. Using the Project & Trim tool and the outline of the inner panel, I trimmed all the diamonds at the edges. This process was a little fiddlier than I?d hoped. Because the outline disappears after each trim operation, pasted in place before each operation. I did all the pieces instead of only doing half and mirroring. Mirroring with nurbs will mean you need to reverse their ?normals? so they render properly.

- I created a simple button using the Hemisphere tool. I had to play with its placement a bit so it didn?t disappear into the folds. I duplicated it using the Move tool.

I have attached the finished file so you can see the pieces.

I have found that modeling in 3D is actually easier than I thought. Most of my initial troubles came from not understanding the tools and when to use solids, when to use nurbs etc. Unfortunately some of this knowledge is not written down anywhere.

It certainly could be finessed a little more and have textures added, but you get the basic idea.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister