Move doors/windows in wall

Clarification: David, in 12.5.3 there is no way to use the MOVE command on a symbol or PIO in a wall -- it will always move the entire wall. You can however use the POSITION button (in the OIP). I never much liked this as it always orients to the insertion point (ie: center) or the object which requires too much math.

Kevin: you are correct, in 2009 you can use the move command on inserted objects. And it's great!

Ah thanks Peter. I'll give it a try. Yes, the math in VW makes my brain hurt. Have to keep a calculator handy.

How about mirroring? Is there a way to separate a symbol from a wall temporarily to mirror it and then re-connect it?

What I'm doing is going through a Revit book and following their tutorial to see how the programs compare. So far, Revit is trouncing my version of Vectorworks.

Mirroring: drag the symbol/PIO out of the wall, mirror it, then drag each one back in to the wall.

Math: did you know that you can do math in the OIP?? Doesn't help with this particular issue, but certainly helps with lots of others... I also keep a calculator at my side, but I use it a lot less than I did a few years ago...

You should (and presumably do) realize that 12.5.3 is 2-3 years old now. That's pretty ancient in the world of software... There have been many improvements since then.

I wanted to mirror a series of openings/doors to a wall on the other side of the building. The flip button in the OIP will mirror the window within its current location.

I always forget about the OIP calculator.

I think I received my copy of 12 in Jan 2006. I just recently updated to 12.5.3. I like it fine for what I do. Eventually, I'll have to consider getting Architect.

If anyone knows of a good theory book on space/site design, I'd love to get one. I'm especially interested in "efficiency" as an approach to the design of spaces.

David,

What I used to do in 12 when I wanted to achieve similar results was to drop a series of 2-D Locus points on the edge of the Symbols in my Walls then use the Mirror tool. I could then place Symbols graphically using these new Locus points. Now that I think of it, I had to Send these Locus Back as for some reason the Symbol would not break the Wall if the Locus was "above" the wall. (In some cases I would also use the Rectangle tool to arrange my spacing & had to send these to the back also.)