Edit viewport crop

Hi,

I am having problems editing my viewport crop. I enter the crop command into the viewport ( this is confirmed by the yellow box saying exit viewport crop) but I cannot get hold of any handles to do the crop. I see a faint grey rectangle but it either disappears or has no effect. The edit annotations command works fine, but not the crop. I have also tried with the change double click command for the mouse without success.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

David

I always try to make sure that I'm working in the 'none' class when ever I'm cropping or creating a viewport. Otherwise with many classes in a drawing crop objects could end up anywhere.

Having said that I do wish that they should have their own predetermined class, a bit like dimensions.

Hi, still having problems with this. Classes are set to" show /modify all others"

interactive scaling set and double clicked and entered crop mode ( it says so in the yellow box) but there is nothing to work the crop with. I remember doing this in version 12 and there were crop handles, all i have here is the drawing and nothing happens.

I have done this in a test doc ( same template on a simple shape) same result. I am obviously doing something wrong here.

Regards

David

Go to the Navigation Palette (or Organization dialog box) and make sure that you have all classes set to visible.

Select the viewport, go to the Object Info Palette and click the Classes button. In the dialog box that opens, make sure you have all the classes visible.

Now go in and see if you have a crop object you can edit. Or do a Select All and delete anything that exists in the crop group.

If not, then you probably have not cropped the viewport. If there is no crop object just draw any 2D object.

I have been having the same problem, and just do not get it. All this talk of crop objects and making sure objects are visible and whatnot...

What happened to the simple double-click and be able to drag some points?? It took 5 seconds to resize a viewport previously (2008) to include more space. I have tried everything suggested above, and simply cannot figure out how to resize my viewports short of rebuilding all of them.

EDIT: Weird...made a new viewport, and it works...but the old ones I can't edit. It seems you now have to do it just right to make them work.

Edited by SamIWas

I have been frustrated with this issue in the past until I was enlightened through this forum.

If crop odjects were defaulted to the none layer, at least one would know where to look for them and could then change them at a later date. I can't see why this wouldn't be beneficial for a generic operation like cropping.

But if you put all Viewports on the NONE class then you have no visibility control of them when they exists on Design Layers. Suggest you make a class that is descriptive of the intent for these Viewports, but like all class and a classification system we suggest and use Viewport-Main then if this class is off or greyed it is fairly evident what the issue would be. Also, a script can be written to change all Viewports of all types to be on what ever class you desire thus eliminating user errors.

• 9 months later...

It's ridiculous that just editing a viewport crop can be so tedious in VW.

Surely - if you want to edit the viewport crop, and you can obviously only have ONE viewport crop object. VW should just simply make that crop object editable.

Nemetschek really need to work on the usablilty of VW. They are getting left behind. The UI is shambolic - hasn't been updated in years

I wrote this post during an extremely frustrating day full of crashes and looming deadlines - so may have been a tad harsh.

But I still don't understand why, when editing a Viewport, Vectorworks can't automatically make the viewport crop object editable regardless of which class it is set to.

All too often, particularly when I was just starting out, i would get that dreaded "a viewport can only have one viewport crop object" message (obviously) when the viewport crop is invisible and not selectable (because the crop object's class is either switched off / not editable or because the viewport it's self is set not to show that particular class and I'm trying to crop a VP.

It's ok if you're disciplined enough to always put a crop object on the same class, or the none class so you can make sure it is visible etc - but I am not like that or usually rushing.

How about if crop objects were always put into their own class like dimensions ?

To input my two cents, I've solved this particular class issue by creating a class called vports and a keyboard shortcut to get me there.

when I want to use a viewport, i use my keyboard shortcut (in this case ctrl+shift+alt+V) to get me into vports class. Then, I draw my viewport, hit alt alt v to get into the create viewport menu, put it on whatever sheet layer i want, and done. vports class is always on, since i only draw viewports in it. I have it set to create objects with 0 line weight and no fill, so that if i try to draw in my vports class later, i can't see what i just drew. (my crop object is still highlighted orange so i can see it after i've made it if i don't select anything else).

then i call myself a bonehead and switch classes.

since you only need to double click an oject in your viewport, not the crop, this gets me invisible crop objects without going to edit crop all the time to set my line weight to zero.

Andrew, you don't have to be disciplined, you just have to get into the habit of doing it. way quicker and way less frustrating this way, imo.

HTH,

Jeff

IMO Viewports should also be editable right there on the Sheet Layer in much the same way as you can edit a floor object using 2d Clip / Add surface - after all it's just a simple edit to the defining 2d geometry - classes & visibilities remain unchanged.