Really weird File Opening problem

I can't open the file after I've copied it to my computer.

I can open the file on another Mac but after I copy it to my Mac (or use Save As) I can't open it - I get either:

"This is an unrecognized file. It may be VectorWorks file created by a newer version of the application, it may be a very old MiniCAD file, it may have been created by another application, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error."

either something about I/O error.

This occurs also if I copy files from one folder (A) on my desktop to another folder (B) on my desktop. In the files I'm trying to copy workgroup referencing (with relative paths) is used.

Has anybody idea on this?

I have seen this and while I don't know what exactly causes it I have a couple ideas on how you might be able to open it. First, go to the "get info" and make sure that the "open with" pulldown is set to the correct version of VW's. Second, try opening it from within the program (ie: use File/Open) and see if that'll do it. HTH's

i have the same problem too! i've allready tried this but it still doesn't work. the thing is that when you press preview you can see the contents of the file but when you press to open it it says internal system error I/O . i dont know what is wrong because i put a new hard drive on my computer and reinstalled everything all over again but the problem persists.

• 1 year later...

I also have the same problem, the only way the file opens is when I copy the file to my desktop, but this is quite a hassle as I need to constantly copy any file I am working on from and back to my server file.

I am working on a Macbook,system 10.5.8 , with newly installed VW 2011. (also have a VW 12.5 also installed on the computer.

• 7 months later...

I'm running into this exact problem now (January 2012).

Was a resolution ever discovered?

Our setup is four Windows7 PC's accessing shared files on a MacOS X 10.7 Lion Server. The problem began when the server changed from 10.6 to 10.7. Some users can open VW files, others cannot. Naturally the lead designer is the main person who cannot open files today. Shoot me now.

• 8 years later...