Revit is an interesting subject

I just bought a Revit book (Revit Architecture 2010 No Experience Required) to see what the fuss is all about and to see if I can learn anything that I can apply to Vectorworks. I am particularly interested in how Revit handles details.

Turns out, it doesn't. While the model sections show generally what's going on, the drafter is expected to finish them up in 2-D. This is what we do in Vectorworks, and it seems that the VW approach is much easier--the Revit approach is unlike normal 2-D drafting. I may be wrong since I haven't actually used Revit. Their approach may be easier once one gets past the curve.

The author claims that the reason most firms give up on using Revit for Contract Documents is because they never learn to master the detailing (the plot thickens).

One question I have is: what happens when you change the 3-D model? The details have to be revised, since the 2-D portion isn't automatically updated. This doesn't seem very efficient.

Anyway, the book is interesting and should helpful in using Vectorworks better and to understand BIM.

One of the things that Revit manages is the detail references.

As details are switched between sheets, or detail identifications changed, these items are coordinated between the detail source and the actual detail.

I also believe that there is some anchoring between the detail bubble and the location on the model, so if the floor moves up 2'-0" the detail reference marker goes with it and dimensions are adjusted.

I recently took a 3 day course in Revit basics, and you're right about how Revit does 2D linework annotations on section views, just like Vectorworks. But Revit's 2D tools and commands are primitive compared to Vectorworks 2D tools. For example, there are no polylines - only line segments.

I have lots more examples of what Vectorworks has and Revit lacks. BTW, Vw IS a building modeling program (contrary to remarks in another thread). If it is not, then why can Vw's window object show splayed walls at the jamb, while Revit can not?

After learning the Revit basics, I decided that I'll hold onto my Vectorworks Architect license .... which I've had since the 1990s, when everyone was using that other program that Autodesk bought and fooled around with by releasing lackluster versions ---- AutoCad.

Edited by Bob-H

Thanks for your comments Bob-H. I got the same impression, that Revit's 2-D tools are very limited.

I'm going to slog through the book and follow the tutorial using Vectorworks. I want to see if Revit has any tricks that I can apply to VW. So far, in basic wall drawing, I see no advantage with Revit.

One thing they have that I like is a command system which is located in a small area at the top the screen, with commands that pop down only when you might need them. It looks like a good idea.

The high cost of Revit would preclude my switching over, but I may find myself employed using it someday.

I want to see if Revit has any tricks that I can apply to VW. So far, in basic wall drawing, I see no advantage with Revit.

The high cost of Revit would preclude my switching over, but I may find myself employed using it someday.

Revit does have some advantages with walls -- its wall types (styles in Vw) can do masonry bands for bases, brick bands and wall caps, which can create complete walls in one step..........very enviable feature. Vw requires several steps to stack separately created wall bases and caps.

But the advantages of Revit can thin out with the absence of the on-screen ruler, background grid, snap settings, and guides. And different print settings for each sheet, with a visible printed page outline.

Much attention for Revit users has been focused on the distracting debate over the 2009 vs. 2010 user interface - and it has been heating up recently. Some of them think the UI has been causing Revit 2010 to crash more often . One would think that the UI issue been used by Autodesk to divert attention away from years old Revit wish list items, like site tools.

But politics aside, Revit is not that difficult to learn for a Vectorworks user.

The walls look pretty good in Revit. And they are able to place doors and windows accurately. Also, they can control the finishes around the openings and can stop them at wall intersections. That will help in details.

I'm using Fundamentals and don't know how well Architect can handle these things. It's probably a close race.

Since I've always struggled with VW command system, I decided to change my basic commands pallet to show both icons and text, in alphabetized order. What an improvement in usability! I can now find the commands quickly without a lot of eye scanning.

The only way to make the command system better would be if they let me type them at the bottom of the screen :)

I'm an Autocad vet too. So I always set the Vw workspace key commands to use L for Line, M for Move by Line, etc.

In many ways, NNA's Vw is more Autocad-friendly than Autodesk's own Revit. Vw can easily handle DWG imports - just ungroup the drawing and edit the lines. Revit poorly handles Autocad linework - it's better left as a referenced DWG file. So in many cases, a Revit user is also running Autocad on the side. And this explains why Adesk sells the package called "Autocad Revit". Even Revit alone gets installed along with it a separate DWG viewing program (which takes up lots of disk space).