Hole centre tool to work on 3D hole representations

Alan Boughey

Question

I have noted that the hole centre mark tool will not work on the planar representation of holes from a 3D model. This means that a 2D circle needs to be overlaid on the 3D image to enable the tool to be used. I believe it would be preferable for the tool to be able to recognise the cylinder or a hole in a 3D object.

1 answer to this question

This is a problem that i have found causes me niggles with the Locus too. The centre tool should be available as a 3D centre too. Or . . . . . .

In some cases placing a "Centre"(Locus or Centretool) in a part is sometimes seen as an illegal object or if it is allowed, it just becomes invisible if deep set in an early stage in an object/symbol. i have tried drawing a 3D crosshair with the 3D polygon tool and leaving it in the centre of a cylindrical solid but VW sees this as an illegal object too.

Cylindrical 3D objects should have a "Snapable" centre/insertion point visible or at least accessable however deeply set in the model or object is placed.

The Gear/Spur tool in MD provides two lovely little Locus at the centre of the 3D gear but as soon as you exit this edit stage the locus vanishes . . . .

Usable 3D centres are a MUST.