Revit over VW

These are rounded numbers of a generic type.

ArchiCADD 4,500

Revit 4,500

Vectorworks Designer 2,000 Architect 1,500

The first cost Delta 2,500 or 3,000

What does that equate to hours per user?

100 per hour cost on the low side means only having to save 25 or 30 hours within a year.

Now this is first cost with the annual subscription cost much less for all three with a lower delta requiring less hours to make up the difference in any given year. Probably around 18 hours a year to make up the delta.

Until anyone has had the same training and done at least three projects the evaluation would be incomplete. But given that, if each user base were equal in skill which tool listed would accomplish the same task? Again, no concrete studies have been done and all we have is speculation.

[Modeling] If one designs using Flat roofs or extensive amount of Curtainwall systems those 18 hours would add up Quickly since the others seem to have better tools for this type of modeling. So if the others building modeling tools are more extensive and complete one can see those 18 hours saved quite quickly.

[Work Group Management/Document Plotting] If you have a team of 10 working on a single project what are the hours to manage all the location of data files and to plot/print all these Documents? 18 hours per person could be saved quite quickly.

[interoperablity} If all the consultants use Revit and you use Revit one could extrapolate that those 18 hours to be saved would add up quickly as no translation would be required. Revit is referred to as it is the only one of the three who now has tools specific to each of the major building design consultants.

Vectorworks is a great tool for a generalist practice of less than 10 each working solely on a single project at a time. As soon as the team size expands and the project size expands one has to start doing math to see if any the above differences inmpact profitability or in this economy viability.

Vectorworks also has other capabilities that the others lack, so again, one has to evaluate this against the type and scale of work one creates.

The math is not as simple as proposed, but if one were to do the math, as many must do when they choose a tool, one comes to understand why large design consultancy may choose the others over Vectorworks.

Edited by 1D2D3D_4D

I linked back to Michael's first post, which has the prices he was quoted

[/Quote]

Which as you are aware did not include the ArchiCAD price and I just thought for the sake of this thread reasonably accurate prices would provide a FAIR comparison

Thanks 1D2D3D_4D

The truth is, if you read through my history on this forum

[/Quote]

How can someone talk about TRUTH when within the same thread it has been avoided?

To read through it = pull up a chair and bring a cut lunch probably two or three - Yawn

so I will slip away and not "bother" you with my findings (maybe I'll post them elsewhere)

[/Quote]

Elsewhere would be nice

Point though is this - VW is what ? one third the price of the others

I really think though it is much better value ? unless you want something for nothing

Ah, indeed, blame the customer

[/Quote]

Old customer as you are still on 2008

Since we are getting complaints, and this topic does not seem to be going anywhere productive, I am locking it.

If you think is should be unlocked, put in a request for moderation with why you think it should be unlocked. The Moderators will look at the requests next week.

Pat Stanford for the Moderators