Layer Link

cadmando

I previously worked in VW12.5 and used layer link to extensively in both 2d & 3d, it is very useful. I am now working in VW2008 and can no longer create find the layer link command although in VW Help it reads "go to View and select Create Layer Link". Can anyone tell me how to create a layer link?

Create Layer Link is still available to add to your workspace.

The functionality of Layer Links (or at least most of it) and more is avilable in a new construct know as a Design Layer Viewport (DLVP). The easiest way to think of it is as a cropable layer link with layer and class controls built in.

If you want to do it the old way, just edit your workspace to add the Create Layer Links.

Layer Links are still in the Fundamentals workspace as DLVPs are not available in Fundamentals.

Intra document DLVP's are essentially Layer Links with management controls. As Pat points out they can be cropped and their visibility states can also be modified via their Viewport Layer and Class controls. There are no advantages in using Layer Links and no disadvantages in using DLVPs. Learn how to use DLVPs and you will quickly see how much better and useful they actually are.