VW 2009 and upcoming Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

• 2 weeks later...

Since they made the recommendation before Snow Leopard was released (check the KnowledgeBase for more details of the problems), obviously they did test it before SL was being developed.

Remember, Apple is notoriously closed mouthed and requires absolute compliance with non-disclosure. NNA could not have said anything until SL was at least announced.

And until they get a truly shipping copy of SL, I (and I believe, NNA) would not want to make any guarantees of any kind until they had tested on a released version.

I am certain they will be working as quickly as they can to get it out. Since they have provided a fairly certain date (November), they must have a pretty good idea of how serious the problems are and how to fix them.

We all just need to put our "shiny apple object lust" on hold for a little while. ;-)

Developers have been receiving Snow Leopard builds for months, including the final, or near final, build (10A432) several weeks ago, and would have a pretty good bead on any issues / problems. Discussing compatibility with an upcoming OS release is not a violation of NDA; it's a business decision.

Developers have been receiving Snow Leopard builds for months, including the final, or near final, build (10A432) several weeks ago, and would have a pretty good bead on any issues / problems. Discussing compatibility with an upcoming OS release is not a violation of NDA; it's a business decision.

That was my point. If they are a developer, why aren't they prepared enough to launch a service pack within a few days of the official release? Now they need another 6 weeks?

I don't mean to offend (much), but both of you have obviously never been involved in software development.

There is no guarantee from build to build that something that once worked isn't broken by a new seed. That's true for beta versions of OSes and applications.

You don't rush a half-assed "compatibility patch" without thorough testing. And CAD is one of the more complex software products that's been created.

One more point I'll make: take a look at any Mac-related web site and you'll see there are many products that currently aren't working with Snow Leopard. Either all of these companies are equally incompetent - seeing how they've had the final build of SL a few weeks - or it's a more complex issue than you think.

Also (well maybe two points), take a look at the ArchiCAD web site: there's neither a tech bulletin or forum post there that indicates their compatibility status as-is with Snow Leopard.

Tiger->Leopard required a patch; Leopard->Snow Leopard requires one too. The phrases "bleeding edge" and "early adopter" exist for a reason.

Actually, I do work in software development. Perhaps my comment was hastily written, but you read to much into it. I was responding to previous comments without bias or judgment against Nemetschek NA. I wouldn't expect software as complex as Vectorworks (with dual platform support, legacy code, outside vendors, multiple localizations, etc.) to be reliably compatible on day 1. Anything to the contrary would be irresponsible. Oh, nevermind.

I don't mean to offend (much), but both of you have obviously never been involved in software development.

There is no guarantee from build to build that something that once worked isn't broken by a new seed. That's true for beta versions of OSes and applications.

You don't rush a half-assed "compatibility patch" without thorough testing. And CAD is one of the more complex software products that's been created.

So in your learned opinion, 6 weeks is acceptable?

Were they not given the final build to work with before it was released?

I just got around to reading the Tech Bulletin on Snow Leopard ---- only AFTER I bought the Snow Leopard upgrade this morning (while expecting wrongly to install it next week). But it's only $30, and I'll just have to wait until November for the sp5 update.

The Snow Leopard Compatibility List was also very helpful in updating certain Applications for Snow Leopard -- for me, only a few, including Notebook, CyberDuck and Onyx need updates, which are not available yet.

I was also surprised to find that Vw2008 will not get an update for Snow Leopard -- is this because Vw2010 will be released in Sept., and NNA only updates new and previous consecutive versions?

There was not this much system incompatibility since the release of MacOS 10.0. Maybe Apple should call it MacOS 11.0 instead of 10.6 if the system architecture is so much different.

Edited by Bob-H