USE OF PROCESSORS

I run Vectorworks 2009 on a 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon Machine.

I am doing radiosity renderings in a view port. It has been running slowly. I check my activity monitor and find only one of the processors is being used.

Does VW access access multiple processors at a time?.

if it does how do i make sure my comp is running optimally?

if not...WHY NOT???!!!!

all afternoon I've been trying to render a quite complex object.

I use the OS X activity monitor to see how vector works uses the computing power. It constantly uses only one of my eight processors. The 'Force Quit Application Window' shows that Vector Works constantly goes is 'not responding'.

I am suitably unimpressed if VW can only use 12.5% of my computing power...

i think with normal rendering VW can use more than 1 core, but with radiosity it only uses 1. this has been an issue with many many people on these forums, and hopefully it will be something NNA will address. you would expect with a CAD program that they would design it to take full advantage of the hardware available to their users.

I am still on 2008 and will not upgrade until VW can make a giant leap in terms of multi core processing.

Only Renderworks (Final & Custom) rendering modes use multiple processors. Try Renderworks to see if you can get the results you're after. You can add Final Gather (in Custom Renderworks) if you don't get enough indirect light.

What are you rendering? Interiors, exteriors, architecture, industrial design, theater lighting?

Only Renderworks (Final & Custom) rendering modes use multiple processors. Try Renderworks to see if you can get the results you're after. You can add Final Gather (in Custom Renderworks) if you don't get enough indirect light.

What are you rendering? Interiors, exteriors, architecture, industrial design, theater lighting?

I believe Artistic renderworks uses multiple cores as well.