Data Export

I have created a pond design for a client and then created a 3D model from 3D loci which I placed on my contours and gave z values to. At this point we need to go stake this pond out on the ground and need a data output file of coordinates and elevations. I expect there must be an easy way to do this that I cannot figure out. I also created some 2D x-sections of the pond expecting that perhaps I could retrieve some data from these. Apparently there is no information attached to these either. I have tried to contact tech support 3 times today only to wait on hold for several minutes at my expence and then get cut off. Do you have a 1-800 number I could call so tech support could truely be free? I would even pay if someone would just answer the phone! We are supposed to stake this out in just a few days so a quick response would be appreciated. Please let me know if I have gone about this all wrong and there is a better way.

Valerie McKay

RLK Hydro

Valerie,

I can offer you the slow way to do it, which you have perhaps already thought of. Each in your series of 2D sections can be converted manually to a polyline (if it isn't already a polyline)that describes a profile of the land surface. Put an evenly spaced series of vertical lines through that polyline. You should know the relative X and Y locations of each of these lines from the spacing of your 2D sections and spacing of the lines themselves. Then clip each of these lines using the land surface polyline. Then move the origin (under the 'Page' pull down menu, 'Set Origin') to 0 by first placing a locus where 0 would be, somewhere below your profile. Then using the info palette, read off each of the Z coordinates (they will appear as the Y coordinate of the top point of each line). These numbers can be cut and pasted into Excel or a VW worksheet.

There may be a faster way, including automating this process by using a script, and someone may have already written this script. But if you need to get this done quickly, I've done this before and it is slow and tedious but works.

[This message has been edited by P Retondo (edited 07-30-2001).]

One way to do it is with Vectorscript. Following is an example that you can probably use as is, or modify to suit your purposes.

code:

procedure ExportLocations;

{ Exports the 3D coordinates of the selected objects to the file you }

{ specify. }

{ WARNING: If you specify a file that already exists, all existing }

{ data in that file will be destroyed. If you want to append data }

{ to the file instead of overwriting it, change the 'Rewrite' call }

{ below to 'Append'. }

var

datafile:String;

procedure WriteOneObjectLocation(theObject:Handle);

var

x, y, z: REAL;

begin

Get3DCntr(theObject, x, y, z);

Write(x);

Tab(1);

Write(y);

Tab(1);

WriteLn(z);

end;

begin

PutFile('Name the file for export:','Exported Data.txt',datafile);

Rewrite(datafile);

Write('x');

Tab(1);

Write('y');

Tab(1);

WriteLn('z');

ForEachObject(WriteOneObjectLocation, SEL=TRUE);

Close(datafile);

end;

run(ExportLocations);

Note: The script above exports the coordinates of the centers of any objects that are selected when the script is run. So it'll work well for loci, but it's probably not what you want for a collection of buildings or other objects where you're more interested in points other than the center. It would be simiple to modify the script to use some other point, though. The Get3DInfo routine may be useful in such calculations.

[This message has been edited by Caleb Strockbine (edited 07-31-2001).]