Color to Line Weight

michaelk

Question

12 answers to this question

Is there an autocad standard for to line weight? Or does every office make up their own?

thanks

michaelk

Yup (as far as i know :) ) mainly only the first 8 or 9 are used and are as follows:

1 red 0,25mm

2 yellow 1,00mm

3 green 0,35mm

4 cyan 0,18mm

5 blue 1,4mm

6 magenta 0,70mm

7 black/white 0,5mm

8 dark grey 0,13mm

9 light grey 0,05mm

AutoCAD developed this standard when printing from earlier versions, that's why it stuck, however they really made things hard by introducing a new combination when they released Point, however this hardly gets used at all.

Edited by Vincent C
but I've found that many started out by using the Rotring pen colours back in the 80s and have stuck with it (me included), so 0.18 = red, 0.25 = white/black and so on.

That's strange ! The Rotring pens we had in Holland late 90s (where i'm from) and Sweden (where i'm now) follow the colour/thickness in the list i just posted earlier in this thread..??!

Edited by Vincent C

There is no standard color mapping in Autocad.

It's always arbitrary.

One person will use red for the thinest pen because it's their favorite color.

Another will use red for the thickest because "red really stands out."

Some will argue for hours that blue should be used for the thickest pen "because it's the darkest."

Throw in the fact that anyone using color based pen styles in autocad is ten years behind the curve - style based plotting was introduced in 1999 and is much superior.

There is no standard color mapping in Autocad.

I don't know about other countries, but in Sweden it is (still) a standard.

I presume it is in other countries as well because ArchiCAD ships a pen table combination which is actually called AutoCAD......

Throw in the fact that anyone using color based pen styles in autocad is ten years behind the curve - style based plotting was introduced in 1999 and is much superior.

This shows how dominant/present (unfortunately) AutoCAD still is, or how brainwashed/backward certain consultants/engineers still are.

Edited by Vincent C

There are a variety of color standards, but that's not the same as "an autocad standard for to line weight."

In the past autocad has shipped with a number of preconfigured pen tables, some monochrome and some color.

The Autocad style based pen tables allow far greater flexibilty (as do vectorworks lineweight assignment options) than any color to lineweight scheme.

Autocad's dominence is not by accident, nor are it's users ignorant. It does a lot of things really really well.

The Autocad style based pen tables allow far greater flexibilty (as do vectorworks lineweight assignment options) than any color to lineweight scheme.

Agreed! and at the time the color->lw was good too.

Autocad's dominence is not by accident, nor are it's users ignorant.

I'll refrase that .....many people (I encounter) working with CAD programs in my business are (ignorant/brainwashed, the fact that this color-lineweight standard still is an issue proves this), unfortunately AutoCAD is (still) so dominant that the largest part of them are AutoCAD users. Generally the ones that don't use AC have noticed the color->lw redundancy.

Edited by Vincent C

In 1994 I was first introdused to drafting, using set-squares on wooden drawing tables. Our teasher had just got the latest printer with ink pens, wow! so amazing at the time. It was also my first year in high school. we never did ink on scool level, but at Tech we had intensive training using inked pens and started of with AutoCad14. from there we we tuaght a standerd even though we got the latest plotter at the time. Stadler pens and AC pen thicknesses went hand in hand with our studies, but more as to what you draw in certain thickness. Walls = 0.5(red), windows/doors = 0.18(cyan), furniture = 0.35(green)