Roll Up Dock Door and Door in Two Walls

MattG

I am working on the same buildings as in the previous post. It is a prefab building. Each slab is 12' wide. I made a 12' wall piece capped at both ends and the correct height. I then created this into a symbol. I duplicated an array of the number of these that make up the rectangle. Now on one side of the building there are 7 truck docks. I want to show these. The dock doors are roughly 8' wide and some cross over two wall panels. The questions are is it possible to create a roll up door using the door tool and can I spread a door/that door over two wall pieces?

Matt

Matt, It sounds like a peculiar way to draw walls of the building. If you are intent on showing the panel breaks why not create a notch symbol - similar to Pat's idea- and insert it at the correct spacing into the continuous perimeter wall. You could even create a shorter notch symbol for above the door for those cases where the door spans 2 panels.

As for the roll up door. I'm not sure if this is available.

I am not an architect and primarily I am just working with entertainment related things. I found myself getting frustrated with the wall tool. For the previously mentioned reason and I started putting in some windows and they stack on top of each other on 6' centers. I duplicated my wall symbol and named one that was wall with 4 windows . Then duplicated my symbol of the window and tried to adjust the elevations and no luck.

So I am not sure if this is a great approach I just changed my symbols to solids and made solid extrusions of the shapes of the windows and doors and just subtracted as necessary. It kind works I guess.

I am attaching some of what I am saying for suggesting and critiquing if you like.

Matt

HI Matt,

It looks like you've found a method that works for you - however...

is the Wall Insertion Mode of the 2d selection mode active? If not your symbols won't insert into the wall as you'd like, and this could be causing your frustration.

Try drawing the building rectangle using the wall tool - set the height to 42'8 1/2" and create a symbol from a window. Insert it at the required positions and control it's height via the Height field of the Object Info Pallet.