VW & AutoCad viewer

We work with another firm on several projects. They use ACAD, & we have some issues but generally we can have developed protocols that smooth things out. That is until a client wanted AS BUILT drawing files. The client does not have ACAD but AutoCad's Viewer and to make my AS BUILT drawings clear I had to rebuild many drawings. For example, Rather than export SHEET VIEWS I needed to duplicate SHEETS on a design layer & copy & Scale my Title Block at the same scale as a drawing.

Any suggestions on how to export to the ACad Viewer without this nightmare?

I run into the same issues when sending as-built drawings. They insist on DWG format which is pretty typical. What I do is export sheet layers then I open them up in Autocad to check them and bind any x-refs. The border text is always messed up but that usually isn't an issue. Depending on the recipient, sending a sheet layer with referenced files works fine as long as they understand what x-refs are and which file is the main drawing file.

It is a catch 22 with some entities I send files to. Some specify one drawing file per sheet with no xrefs but then ask for a separate floor plan without dimensions. If they would accept a set of drawings with referenced files they would have everything they need.

When sending a background I only export design layers with only walls, doors, windows, ceiling grid etc.

Oh and I think it would be nice if there was a "Bind referenced files" option when exporting to DWG.

Edited by HOUCAD

Islandmon,

EXACTLY! ... but this is a large public library system & somewhere in the mists of time this rule was written into the boilerplate of their contract; never to be removed. I may be wrong, but I think one may scale a drawing in ACAD Viewer.

Houcad,

The funny thing is when my files (this is a VW12 file) arrive in AutoCad, they look OK. I have to open the file in AutoCad & export a plot file for the view to read it (one more reason NOT to use AutoCAD!!). The trouble is if I don't go through the process I've described in my first post, the Plot File seen in the Viewer ain't no good!

I TOTALLY agree about the Bind Ref option!

In my opinion, architectural CAD files should only be provided for convenience. There are huge potential problems if anyone relies on cad files rather than the signed and sealed paper documents.

CAD files are normally work products developed for the sole purpose of furthering the architect's unique business processes and to expedite the creation of the instruments of service.

Once you go beyond this, you may be slipping over the line from instruments of service to products and therefore implying the .dwg's are suitable for a particular purpose...the fact that you are reworking them to meet the clients may be evidence of such an implication.

I recommend discussing autocad format "as builts" with your attorney and insurance provider.

Edited by brudgers

Working with the public education system in Western Australia, the architect is required at the end of each project to supply both the tender set of drawings and the as-builts in the DWGv14 format of their choosing (this was is 2005!) using their layering system which they enforced religiously. This was no small task.

Unfortunately bureaucracy can be a huge monolith that likes to do things their own way, even if they have forgotten the reason why they do them.

Brudgers & Islandmon

You are both spot on (I love the BB King line). However similar to what Diamond says; in the Province of Ontario, the OAA has a standard contract... that the Toronto Library Board will not use. The Library has said many times "don't like our contract? fine, don't do work for us." As Canada has the fewest Architects per capita of any OECD country Architects here just do not have the clout.