History palette

SJS

Question

I would like to see a history palette similar to photoshop so one can see what you are undoing many steps backward.

Also, a similar palette would be nice for each object made so that if reverse editing is needed, one could see graphically all that was done to the item, such as, subtracting, adding and such to a 3d model.

A bezier drawing tool similar to Adobe illustrator with pullable handlebars. I know that 2009 has the point on arc tool, but I have many years working with the illustrator tool which is still much easier for organic shapes.

8 answers to this question

Yes Steve, a real History Palette would be a real "Shot in the Arm" for VW with respect to 3D. i don't think i know of any other 3D package(animation or CAD) that doesn't have some form of usable history element. PS strikes again!! :)

As for the 2nd one. . . . . this would probably increase file sizes to an inordinate amount. Right now if you have heaps of Symbols in a file that are no longer needed and you remove them the file size shrinks noticeably, so if you have to keep a "Symbol History" as well for each one then that'll go up too. It would probably slow things down to a standstill on startup and retrieval.

Who knows what it would do to VW as a whole.

Great idea nevertheless!

If you dig deep enough into the Forum lists you'll find long discussions on the "Illustrator" type bezier curve tool implementation in VW.

Appearantly a non starter according the "Maths Gurus". Some do, some don't! Like it that is, but an unlikely event anyway.

Monkey, have you ever wanted to change something that was created 3 months ago? Do you really remembers the steps you took to create an item? Just because you don't make mistakes doesn't mean some other monkey above you may have made a mistake or wants changes.

Also, the program doesn't even tell you in the menu what you want to undo. Such as "Undo Subtract"

Palettes can be closed and opened as needed. check your documentation on workspaces.

Monkey, Nobody said you make mistakes. It's not just mistakes that cause any of us to need to make changes.

Modifications for a forward thinking designer are, i would have thought, part of the job description.

But then, if you don't make mistakes, why would you need the Undo . . . . . . . .

:)

Aggghhhhh! Got me!! :sick:

All experienced Users have evolved various 'error recognition & correction' techniques

to mitigate workflow chaos. In fact, the list of possibilities is probably endless ...

perhaps .. then .. it's time for NNA to acknowledge the need for a suite of Recording-Actions-History Procedures to help out a little now that VW has become so darn powerful ( some would say peculiar ) & complicated ( some would say confusing ) to use.