extruded paths

quote:

Originally posted by trunnel:

extruded paths extrude around the path at the center point of the profile. Can Vectorworks extruded at a different spot on the profile object other then the center. If so, How and where is it in the manual?

Yes, you can edit the extrude along path object with the menu command 'Edit group'

You'll get a dialog which ask you which part you want to edit, the path or profile.

You can move or rotate the profile. The bad thing is that very often the profile is flipped or rotated after editing. It seems ther's no logic about how VW takes the profile.

To get rid of this i wrote a Plugin with which you draw a 3d poly path and it uses

a 2d Symbol for the profile. You can move, rotate and flip the profile via the objectinfopalette or edit the Symbol to change the position of the profile. the symbol may contain several 2d objects.

If you or someone have use for the tool (it's free) feel free to mail me:

tischlerei.lackner@aon.at

[This message has been edited by Hannes (edited 07-26-2001).]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by trunnel:

extruded paths extrude around the path at the center point of the profile. Can Vectorworks extruded at a different spot on the profile object other then the center. If so, How and where is it in the manual?

You can't do this during creation, but if you "edit group" on the extrude along path and edit the profile, you'll see the profile in its own little 2-D space. The 0,0 point of this space is the center point for the extrusion. So you can shift some other location on the profile to 0,0, and that will become the new center point.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew, took me quite a while to figure out how to correctly move the 0,0. But, it works great. I chose edit group, profile. Then doubled clicked the ruler and selected center on object center. Then moved the object to set the location of the desired point on the object to the new 0,0 coordinates, then exit group will move the profile around the path at the desired point.