Cinema 4D & VWA Layers?

M5d

An Architosh review of Cinema 4D talks about "round-trip fidelity" in reference to exchanging model information and updates with Archicad and Vectorworks, but then goes on to suggest that you need to have everything on one layer to export the model to C4D from Vectorworks. They say they were confused by a reference to layer linking which no longer exists but everything on one layer doesn't sound right or workable. Is it correct or has the reviewer missed something?

Right now this is my workflow:

1. Model in Vw. Using layer for stories, class for objects.

2.a You can maintain this structure exporting each layer separately and importing them in cinema (one by one). Then asign the heights for each layer in C4d use Xref (this avoid the idea of retyping the z height of the layer each time a modification occurs). Looks complicated, really it isn't.

2.b You can use layer link (need to be added to your workspace via workspace editor in Vw); make a layer link in a new layer.This is the simpler and more direct way.

3. Export to cinema using the plug-in provided by Maxon.

Thanks Mr. Gog.

I haven't used layer links but it sounds easy and efficient compared to the solution in the review. There's a sidegrade deal on C4D at the moment and I've been sniffing around for info and reviews.

I'd also like to know if you think stepping out of Vectorworks for presentations adds a significant amount time to the process compared to relying on Vectorworks/Renderworks alone?

If you own a similar type of software (I have Lightwave) they're offering Cinema 4D at a 50% discount until the end of the month. This is through Adimex in Australia, you may need to find your local distributor.

Qualifying Applications

for CINEMA 4D:

? 3ds Max

? 3ds Max Design

? Amapi Pro

? Artlantis Render

? Artlantis Studio

? Carrara Pro

? Form-Z

? Houdini Escape

? Houdini Master

? LightWave 3D