Add a space in a worksheet list

I have a worksheet I use for a drawing index that lists the sheet number and titles from my borders. I want to add a space between disciplines like between arch and Structural sheets but when I try to add a blank row it will only put it at the top of the list.

Is there a way to add a blank row between data lines in a database worksheet?

What I ended up doing is making a space holder border and put the MEP heading as the sheet number and left everything else in the border blank.It would still be nice to be able to add spaces.

Edited by HOUCAD

The short answer is No. The database can't really contain blank rows as they will sort to the top or bottom depending on the sort order.

The long answer is there are probably a few work arounds. The easiest is probably to create a worksheet with multiple database sections, one for each discipline. You can then put regular worksheet rows between them for your blanks.

Copy the database and paste it back in below the original. Then click in the Row header column and select edit criteria. Change the criteria so you only get the sheets for a single disciple. Repeat for the other disciplines.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

Thanks Pat,

OK if I can have multiple database sections in a worksheet can I just have a blank section after the database to enter info in manually? Usually the MEP sheets are created by someone else so I don't need the borders I only use the MEP borders to organize the whole drawing set.If I could just enter the info in manually after the database info that would do the trick.

Nope, there is no way to manually enter data into a database section. All of the data there must come from the drawing and/or records attached to the drawing objects.

You could probably put in dummy layers/sheets to act as place holders, but maybe not the best way.

If I had a bunch of externally provided sheets I had to list along with the regular sheets, I would probably put in on lay and put in a bunch of loci/rectangles/symbols for each of the externals. I would then attach a record that has the fields you need and create a database from them.

I would probably do the symbol route so I could Link Text to Record and easily see on screen what the "external" data would be.

Pat, have you ever made a script that purges issue Data? When ever I use a border set from a previous set, all the issue data remains even if I delete the issue data from every border. When I open the issue manager all the data comes back.

Once I make a report of the issue data and clean it out manually it does not return and when I am able to keep a template for a clean start it works fine but I always end up tweaking things while working on a project so my templates are always revised from a working set of drawings. Just wondering if there is a quicker way to purge the data.

Thanks Pat,

OK if I can have multiple database sections in a worksheet can I just have a blank section after the database to enter info in manually? Usually the MEP sheets are created by someone ....

This is totally obvious, but just to clarify: if you set up multiple database rows you can have as much space as you want *between* them to manually enter stuff. I'm pretty sure Pat knows what MEP is (I don't) so he knows you want to put that stuff in the same row as the database.

And while I'm here I'd point out that you can manually enter formulae to this multiple database sheet that will operate on the totals in the database columns.

So, for eg, you can have a database row reporting area of one type or class of object, another row reporting perimeters of other objects, total them all up with a worksheet formula and then maybe multiply them by a cost or something equally useful.

just sayin'...

Pat, have you ever made a script that purges issue Data? When ever I use a border set from a previous set, all the issue data remains even if I delete the issue data from every border. When I open the issue manager all the data comes back.

Once I make a report of the issue data and clean it out manually it does not return and when I am able to keep a template for a clean start it works fine but I always end up tweaking things while working on a project so my templates are always revised from a working set of drawings. Just wondering if there is a quicker way to purge the data.

I don't have a script for that tonight, but I have done some research on the issue data record format.

I should be able to throw together a script for you in the morning. You will be the Beta tester, so use with caution.

Thanks Pat. I will try to give it a test this morning.

OK it worked great on my sheet set. Nice and quick. This will save a lot of time deleting the info sheet by sheet or from a worksheet.

One thing that happens after purging is the issue field names show up in all my title blocks. It does this when you delete the data manually too so its not the script doing it. I have to go to each title block and edit the issue data from the object info pallet to clear the field names. I am just wondering why it does this.

THANKS

Edited by HOUCAD

I think the field name this is just a result of how the document border/title block work.

When you create an issue block in the title block, you put text in with those codes. The Drawing Border then replaces the codes with the issue data. If you delete the issue data, the document border thinks it is still supposed to display the issue data, but can't find any so it displays the codes.

I have not found a work around for that problem yet.

Glad this helped.