Printing, Fonts, and Preview?

MaxStudio

Question

My file looks correct on the screen, but when I print it directly through vectorworks it changes all my fonts to a default font.

If I preview the file first and then print it through preview the file prints correctly with all the right fonts.

This problem only appears to happen on older macs before the intel switch.

I really hate having to print through preview every time I want to print a drawing correctly.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there a solution to this problem?

3 answers to this question

That happens to me to when I try to print to my old Epson 1160 - the font defaults to Geneva or something like that. And I have an Intel Mac.

Epson's response was "You will need to contact Vectorworks to find out if the font you are trying to print will work with a the Epson 1160 inklet printer or if it will only work through a post script driver which the 1160 is not compatiable with" which was ungrammatical and not a lot of help.

Printing through Preview didn't work for me, and neither did converting to PDF, until I spotted an option - Adobe>Print>Advanced>Print As Image - then it printed with the correct font.

Printing through Preview didn't work for me, and neither did converting to PDF, until I spotted an option - Adobe>Print>Advanced>Print As Image - then it printed with the correct font.

It prints using a raster image .. not the scalable fonts based on bezier curves.

You still have the font problem .

Try using the FontBook app. to analyze your fonts.

A common problem is older fonts with the same name loading instead of the newer OS friendly fonts.

Eliminating all the duplicate older fonts can work magic.

Recall also that different Type foundries provide similar font styles described using different algorithms which may or may not be compatible with your system.

Check your System & User Libraries to locate the available fonts.

As for PDF... try sticking with the Adobe Type Library.

I applied Font Book - there were some fonts with minor problems apparently, all with .ttf or .otf suffix. Does that matter? There do not seem to be duplicate fonts.

The one I use, and the Epson printer doesn't recognise, is Tekton Pro, an Adobe open type, so I am puzzled as to why it doesn't work with a .pdf drawing, unless it's to do with Vectorworks using it's own version of .pdf.