Alienware PC Stats

Hi All,

I know this topic has been beat more than a dead horse, but my PC renders things incredibly slowly.

(I put a simple set with a few lights and some brick texture, told it to render a bitmap at 300Dpi at Final Quality Renderworks. I came back 14 hours later and it was halfway done and not responding.)

I'm looking for a PC that can render a whole lot faster. I've read all the memory error discussions and will upgrade to 2010 when it comes out.

I'm looking at an Alienware PC. Anybody use one of these? I'd be getting the high end one, like this.

http://www.alienware.com/customize/alx-x58-r2-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-ALX-X58-R2&SubCode=SKU-GAME

But, before I drop $5400 on a computer, I'd like to ask if anyone is using this or another Alienware PC, and what their opinion is on it vs a mac or other PC. I figured since all we do is graphics processing once the model is built, a computer optimized for graphics processing would work best.

THanks!

Jeff

Before you go jumping offa bridge without your bungee ...

why not try posting the file for others to try rendering.

Could just be that a configuration/parameter setting is causing the problems.

I'll bet that it's something simple ... like what is the sheet size for that 300dpi image.

Or have you tried using jpg instead of bmp. Do you really need multiple lights...

if so, then how are they configured ?

What is the polygonal resolution ?

$5400 is a lot to spend ... when lower priced systems will the best processor, sufficient RAM , HD and OS will do just fine.

Seems like it would also be useful to flesh out your sig: what cpu/ram/video card are you using now? If you're using something ancient, then you may be overestimating how dire your situation is.

Also: seems like you're going for the bleeding edge of technology. It's an expensive place to hang out. The performance difference between that and 1 or 2 tiers down may not be too significant.

Finally: I agree that rendering seems slow, though I haven't played with it much yet. However, if the rendering engine isn't programmed to take advantage of whatever resources you throw at it (i.e. quad cores) then you're throwing your money away.

Keith

Gaming computers will tend more towards high quality graphics cards, as they draw way more polygons than a rendering program will. I've always shied away from them, as they are very "tricked out" and I think you can get comparable quality from computers built for rendering/CAD.

Faster hard drives will increase your paging file response time.

More RAM will help your computer not have to do the above. But be aware that Windows will not address more than 3 gigs of ram unless the program is written for 64 bit computing.

Faster processors are great, and Renderworks will multi thread it's process in raytracing mode (NOT shadow mapping, final gather, or radiosity). There is a decline in apparent performance as you get more towards the higher end of processors. ie, you won't see a noticeable difference between a 3.3 ghz and 3 ghz processor. But you would see a difference between a 2 and a 3 ghz processor.

Since renderworks doesn't operate in a 64 bit environs, and will not address more than 3 gigs or RAM, nor does it have the ability to invoke network rendering, one could work with the assumption that there is a "ceiling" to how well your computer could improve performance. The rest of the rendering performance can be improved by optimizing your model. Lighting, reflections, refractions, and rendering quality settings all affect this.

In my work, I've never found that geometry substantially slows a render down unless you are creating super intricate curves and large numbers of them. I did a concept render with 300 chivari chairs and place settings once and had a miserable time with it, even though they were all symbols. Simplifying the geometry for the sake of the rendering solved the problem.

Usually the case is corrupted geometry (extrusions from not fully closed polygons, minute holes in things).

I have Xi computers in San Diego build my computers for me, they are knowledgeable, and reasonable.

alienware PCs are typically intended for gaming, not rendering and CAD, so i would be wary. renderworks can be slow even if you have an amazing machine, it can typically depend on how you have built and composed your model/design.

i would personally (without causing offense to NNA) try a different rendering programe like C4D, i think the renders are better and quicker, but will take time getting used to using the software.

dont get me wrong, renderworks can be great for certain things but i think for high end rendering you may need to look elsewhere

i must say 14 hours is a bloody long time, i would look at your RAM, and graphics card before making a leap, as you may be able just to update these. If your processing power is low then it may be worth upgrading the whole machine/motherboard.

good luck anyway (it is very exciting when you do buy a new machine!!!!!!)

I agree with all of the above. 10 years ago I bought an SGI 540, fully loaded with quad processors and I regretted that decision 3 months after purchase and have done ever since.

The difference between a, in alienware terms, kick-ass machine, and a well sorted off the shelf PC in real world terms is going to be much smaller than you think. For instance, the difference in speed between a 3.3GHz processor and a 3GHz processor is 10%. Renderworks will therefor, in a perfect world, only get a speed boost of 10% (the graphics card will have negligible effect on renderworks speed) so your 14 hour part finished render will still be a 13 hour part render. What you gain in processor speed, you may loose in choosing a 64bit OS and running a 32bit app on it.

Before long, your machine will be bettered by something a fraction of the price and your model will be twice the size and take twice the time to render so you will be worse off speed wise. Your $5299 will then feel like a waste of money whilst some minor changes to your current hardware, software and working practices may be more cost effective, albeit without a shiny new box with blue lights, making a hell of a racket, generating a lot of heat and using copious amounts of electricity.

IMHO.