Double Wide Double Hung Window

This works, yes. But now shows up as one item in Window Schedule as "custom" with overall dims. You also have to play with the mullion settings which are unsatisfactory. ie: ganged windows vs. adjacent windows with trimmer/kings btween.

Ganged and/or adjacent windows are common in our local vernacular and frustrating to deal with in VW.

This works, yes. But now shows up as one item in Window Schedule as "custom" with overall dims. You also have to play with the mullion settings which are unsatisfactory. ie: ganged windows vs. adjacent windows with trimmer/kings btween.

Ganged and/or adjacent windows are common in our local vernacular and frustrating to deal with in VW.

Mark,

Do you have a suggestion to deal with these problems? I think you are suggesting that VW should have settings for double wide windows without needing to use custom settings. I wonder how common double wide windows are in the real world? I have two in our home, plus a double hung+picture window+double hung combination (triple hung) in our living room.

Looking through the Marvin Window libraries, I see nothing more than single wide double hung.

Nearly all window manufacturers will "gang" together just about any two (or more) windows as requested (there are weight and size limits however).

In the real world there are two ways to do this: 1) Old School. Use two windows, separated by a mullion (which could also be a structural post). 2) Newer School. Use a set of ganged windows (so you have two windows, joined "as one" in one opening).

There is a way to show the "Newer" way on a schedule, which is to specify (for example) 2-3'0" x 5'0" (AKA 2-36/60, or many other variants).

Also, in the real world, at least residentially, we generally specify Rough Opening Dimensions and often depend on the owner and builder to choose a specific brand.

In VW's you can also use two windows, placed close together. The main issue here is the trim which will overlap awkwardly. The solution (from NNA) was to make Custom Window Configurations available....

Hope that helps...

Nearly all window manufacturers will "gang" together just about any two (or more) windows as requested (there are weight and size limits however).

Actually, Peter generally if a window grouping can't be factory ganged and transported, virtually all mfgrs will send individual units (or pairs)for field ganging. Can be awkward to install, but that's my problem (I'm a builder too). But the real point is...

There is a way to show the "Newer" way on a schedule, which is to specify (for example) 2-3'0" x 5'0" (AKA 2-36/60, or many other variants).

Also, in the real world, at least residentially, we generally specify Rough Opening Dimensions and often depend on the owner and builder to choose a specific brand.

In VW's you can also use two windows, placed close together. The main issue here is the trim which will overlap awkwardly. The solution (from NNA) was to make Custom Window Configurations available....

NNAs solution won't deal with lack of shim space between ganged windows, won't build "frame" properly in ganged windows with Custom mullion options, can't calc properly for useful info in a window schedule, draws overlapping trim elements for adjacent windows poorly (requiring me to extrude exterior trim for all window groupings for int/ext elevation and section views), and a bunch of other annoying issues I won't take the time to list...

How common are ganged or grouped windows? Like I said, depends on local vernacular, arch style, etc. But I would say fairly common to very common (especially in "historic" areas double/single hung windows predominate and contemporary clients want more "uninterrupted" glass area than wnd mfgrs can give in one unit. For my work, I haven't done a project in recent years without at least one ganged or grouped window, with MOST jobs using a grouping in 30-60% of the total fenestration design.

Even if its a more of a problem for me than most, I'm curious how other architects are addressing this (especially in elevation views and on schedules, as I can usually get the plan close enough).

cheers, mmm