Door Schedules

You could use one of the User Fields and an "IF" statement in the database worksheet.

First, where you have a "double door", enter the text you wish to see in the "User Field 1" of the Data Tab parameters list.

Next, in the schedule, in the Database Headers, where you would show the door width, input the following formula:

=IF('Door'.'Config'='Swing Bi-part', 'Door'.'UserFld1', Door.DoorWidth)

The logic for the IF statement is explained in the help when invoking "Paste Function" from the worksheet menu (under the little triangle).

IF(logic_test, value_if_true, value_if_false)

I tried an experiment using an embedded "concat" function in the "IF" statement, but the 'Door'.'Width' text would revert to an unformatted integer [PR3], instead of [PR3'-0"]

same you have to go to such trouble, just as well Vectorworks has these powerful worksheet functions

Shame indeed. I for one don't have the luxury of a dedicated drafter to figure these things out and the prospect of having to delve into programming basic functions is daunting and... irritating. I understand that a full fledged CAD program can't be all things to all users but I frankly believe that a complex tool such as Vectorworks should not require that working design professionals should wrestle with programing functions that could be better implemented by working professional programmers. I have always found the overall schedule structure in Vectorworks to be, how shall I put it... incredibly lame.

OK, I'm off my soap box now.

I have always found the overall schedule structure in Vectorworks to be, how shall I put it... incredibly lame.

Indeed. If you've already told VW that the selected door is a configuration that uses two door leaves, it should know to put "pair of..." in the door width box on its own.

Massive pats on the back to Jeff for a solution, though.

Thanks Jeff, I will give that a try. The logic statements are fairly basic and once the formula is set up it should work the next time I use that schedule. I just have to make sure nobody uses the userfld1 for anything. I will probably use the last user field for this since it will never change.

I tried an experiment using an embedded "concat" function in the "IF" statement, but the 'Door'.'Width' text would revert to an unformatted integer [PR3], instead of [PR3'-0"]

OK I got the IF statement to divide the Door.DoorWidth by 2. Is the concat function what I would use to add the PR to it? Is that what you were trying before Jeffrey?

(EDIT) I figured out how to use concat function and fudged it to add '-0" to make it look right. Is there any way to use the feet (') symbol?

Now, for the overall format of the dimension values, is there a way to make all dimensions show as 3'-0" with the dash? I hate the way the 3'0" runs together in the schedules with the font we use and 3'-0" is the format we have always used.

I guess your solution is the best way to do this but then again I might as well just go back to filling in all the information manually.

Edited by HOUCAD