9.0.1 is SLOWER than 8.x.x

Has anyone else noticed that many very simple functions, such as clicking a rectangle into a drawing or a simple linear duplicate array are TEDIOUSLY SLOW in 9.0.x? If I save-as to a new file name speed will increase briefly, but will slow down again within a half hour or so. There are couple other things about 9 that I dont like at all: 1) Text is still really funny and fussy to deal with. 2) The trim tool has still not re-appeared.

PLC G4/450DP/HP DJ230

• 2 weeks later...

We upgraded to 9.0.1 just this week and have noticed it's slowness. Man, I can eat a sandwich when I place an oject on a drawing. We also notice that the measure tool is incredibly sloow and weird. Sometimes I think it's because my machine is getting hot, but I think i's the program. Makes me worry about VW's future.....

I'm on a powerbook G3 w/Mac OS8.6.

------------------

Jim McAuliffe, RA

I have installed 9.0.1 updates on two machines. Both running 9.0 VW my machine at work a 533 G4 and my machine at home an upgraded 9500/400MHZ G3. Both work fine but the speed has dropped slightly on each machine for rendering previously built models. Is their a common file we could test against.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by jfmarch:

We upgraded to 9.0.1 just this week and have noticed it's slowness. Man, I can eat a sandwich when I place an oject on a drawing. We also notice that the measure tool is incredibly sloow and weird. Sometimes I think it's because my machine is getting hot, but I think i's the program. Makes me worry about VW's future.....

I'm on a powerbook G3 w/Mac OS8.6.

Are you placing plug-in doors and windows? The first thing to consider, if you're placing multiple identical objects, is to place one and create a symbol from it. Not only should the symbol insert into the drawing faster, but it should also result in a smaller output file. Also, if you decide you want to change some option on these identical objects, you only need to change the one symbol. Second, several of the plug-ins have an option for generating 3-D polys instead of 3-D solids for their geometry; choose that for better speed.

I'm not particularly familiar with the measure tool (you mean the tape measure tool, right?). You should report slowness to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net, with as many pertinent details as possible (whether it seems particularly slow with particular object types visible, for example), including mentioning that you're on a Mac, what OS version, and so on.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

Doing a particular (complex) solid subtraction in a file originally created in VW 8.5.2 took about 8 seconds in VW 8, and over 30 seconds in VW 9.0. I'd say that is significantly slower. Tech support told me they thought it was the change from 32 bit to 64 bit accuracy. I said I could do without 64 bit accuracy if that's the price we have to pay. But I've also noticed that the translation from VW 8 to VW 9 is very quirky, and perhaps objects native to VW 9 don't have this problem. Has anyone else tried similar comparisons?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Doing a particular (complex) solid subtraction in a file originally created in VW 8.5.2 took about 8 seconds in VW 8, and over 30 seconds in VW 9.0.

We changed solids engines for version 9. Try adding a couple of spheres in 8.5.2, and rendering in QuickDraw3D, and then doing the same in 9. You'll see smooth surfaces. Unfortunately we weren't able to fully optimize the solids engine to the same level as 8, especially on the Mac.

We're still working on trying to speed things up. I don't think the 32 to 64 bit conversion is the main difference in this case, especially since the old solids engine also used 64 bit doubles in its computations.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification. NNA's continuing work to speed up your new 3D engine will be much appreciated. Right now this is a major reason for me not to switch to version 9.

Also, I'm starting to use a program called Rhino 3D, especially with projects involving the digitizing of complex sculpted models. Do you know about translation and compatibility between Rhino and VectorWorks? A Rhino model exported as .dxf can be read by VW, but the NURBS properties apparently disapper.