VW Newbie

Hello to all!! I'm new to the forum and VW. I'm running a trial version of VWA2009 to see if i want to make the switch from AC 2008 and to evaluate VW against Revit 2010. I'm working through the 'Getting Started' manual and things are looking good. But I did run into a tool function that was pretty mysterious to me, at least from the stand point of following the manual directions as written....i've attached a JPEG copy of the manual section which i noted & highlighted.

The result of the instruction worked just fine, but how it did it, and why it works this way is a bit of a mystery to me. Can anyone explain a little more clearly what the tool did and how?

I also have a question about the whole STACK LAYER thing; what's that all about? Why is that part of changing a view? Is there some positive functionality to layers getting displaced when a saved view is activated?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

I will start with the Stack Layers.

VW allows you to draw everything on a layer relative to the zero point of that layer. If you set the finished floor height to this zero point, then you can put your doors/windows/furniture in relative to that point rather than having to figure out an absolute height for say the 17th floor.

In order to make the model draw correctly, you need to use either stack layers or a viewport to offset each layer by its Z height. The Layer Z is set through the Organization palette. Stack Layers offsets each layer by the Layer Z while showing the active layer at the zero point. A Viewport just shows all of the layers with their Layer Z offset.

Hope this helps.

Pat, First off thanks for the reply. Secondly, thanks for the excellent reply!! I think I'm beginning to get my 10 year old AutoCAD layers, UCS, paperspace w/ viewports of modelspace trained mind rapped around VWs approach. I started to realize that layers in VW are much like layers in Photoshop, with the added Z value....much like 'levels' in Revit; and that 'classes' are much like layers in AutoCAD with some additional order of control for graphical / visibility needs as required by the BIM oriented approach. So cool...I?m getting a clearer picture.

Next I will need to understand Design Viewports vs. Sheet Viewports in greater detail. I never used modelspace viewports in AutoCAD, but always use Xrefs. I gather SheetVPs are akin to AutoCAD paperspaceVPs looking into the 3D world and used for annotating & dimensioning....which is exclusively how I work in AutoCAD. Perhaps DesignVPs are akin to xrefs in AutoCAD?

The StackOrder thing makes sense thanks to you...but I guess I am still wondering why the program is designed to not automatically layer stack after changing to or from a 3D view? It seems the need to restack is a corrective action and not an option action with the choice to keep layers unstacked for some other purpose?

Thanks again. daniel

Jonathan -- Yep, that's precisely what I?m doing. Its great to have the free tutorials, and they are pretty good, except this one thing I?ve described is not really fleshed out well as written or diagramed in the manual so I can't say I understand how to use the tools after following the steps. FORCE SELECT is not explained so I don't understand how, when and where to use the tool; and the manual says '2 floor objects are selected', but I could only see one object selected....this made the whole process a bit mysterious and so I can't say I understand how to use the tools again.

BTW, I?ve checked out your website, blog, videos and I?m very impressed. No doubt if I make it all the way to choosing VW I will be 'knocking on your door'. Cheers, daniel

Okay then...think I got the FORCE SELECT thing figured out. Doing this changes the active layer to the object being right- clicked selected.

I think as well that that the entirety of my post has touched on some very fundmental aspects of VW: Working with Layers, editing modes & methods with surface subtractions, and Z relationships of layers, and navigating between them.

Thanks for your input guys.

Edited by danielf
But I did run into a tool function that was pretty mysterious to me, at least from the stand point of following the manual directions as written....

I also have a question about the whole STACK LAYER thing; what's that all about? Why is that part of changing a view? Is there some positive functionality to layers getting displaced when a saved view is activated?

Since you are familiar with Revit, the double-clicking of the floor surface is like getting into the Sketch mode of editing objects in Revit. Floor objects use polygons as boundary objects, as do roofs.

And in reference to layers, it is easier to consider each layer as having its own view mode, which is saved when you change layers. Stack Layer mode aligns those layer views to the current layer. I usually leave Stack Layers unchecked, and look at multiple layers through viewports. Layers are used for setting floor levels. Classes are used for color, linetype, line thickness, etc.

Hope this helps.

thanks Bob -- and yes it did help; as every little bit of expert advice is appreciated while I am exploring new frontiers! Looks like you've been using the program for some time. Have you used others?? daniel

Edited by danielf
I usually leave Stack Layers unchecked, and look at multiple layers through viewports.

I appreciated the original question, since I'd been wanting to ask it recently myself: what's the advantage of unchecking Stack Layers? I used to leave it unchecked, but then I realized I didn't see any reason to do so...

Also: you mention looking at multiple layers through viewports: DLVPs or SLVPs? I assume you stack layers, adjust your view, and then create your viewport? Or is there another way to do that?

Thanks! Keith

i use DLVP's to link parts of the file together. For example, you can make a 3D model of the building on the site with a DLVP.

SLVPs are for creating drawings. create as many as you need to make your drawings. If you have my Vectorworks Architect Tutorial manual, you will see we use the DVLP to place the house onto the site with the correct height and rotation. We use SLVPs to make the drawings.