multiple selection editing

gokarch

Question

This might be possible but we can't seem to do it...

For example, I might have 20 doors that I want to have data tags on (ie ID number, etc). I select all of them, but then have to go into each door seperately and turn on the tag one at a time.

You can do multiple edits with the options on the object info palette (change width, etc) but anything not on there you have to do one at a time!

it would be nice to be able to select any number of symbols/ objects/ anything, and change them all at once!!

Cheers,

Joe

10 answers to this question

There is a button in the OIP you may be overlooking.

If you select 3 doors, usually the OIP says a the top "3 Doors in Walls".

Just to the right of that, under the Shape|Data|Render tabs, is a button that has 3 dots. I think it's called the "Multiple Selection Mode" button.

Click on that button and it will turn into a button with one filled dot in the middle surrounded by two empty dots.

The OIP will now address just one of the doors. The 3 buttons to the right will switch which door is being addressed or flash the one that is currently addressed.

I would add to the wish list that it should stay in single selection mode until you switch it back out. Currently it switches back to multiple if you hit return or tab after editing a field.

hth

michaelk

Edited by michaelk

Many thanks for the reply Michael, but thats not what I ment!

We know about the 'dots and arrows'; but you still cant make a change that affects all the selected doors at once, you can only do one at a time.

I want to be able to select a number of doors/ objects/ symbols, open the settings, make a change, exit settings, and all the doors are affected, not one at a time...

I hope I'm making sense!

Have you tried the Custom Modification command in the Tool menu?

You have to use criteria to select the doors you are interested in, but after that, you get a version of the OIP that will allow you to click the Settings... button and change all of the doors at the same time.

I just tried that and it does not work from their either. I suggest you submit it as a bug.

Sorry.

You're making sense. I'm confused. I didn't realize you were going though the Settings menu.

When I select multiple doors, any change I make directly in the OIP happens to all the doors. But I get the same result as you and Pat when using the Settings button.

I haven't checked all the way through, but except for "Use Symbol Geometry" isn't everything in the Settings dialogue duplicated in the OIP? (I could be very wrong about this...) So you may have better luck using the OIP with multiple doors. (Although it does seem like you're scrolling dow through War and Peace to get to the Muntin width.)

I agree that the behavior should be the same when using the Settings dialogue box. Bug.

michaelk

Hello Pat and Michael,

Many thanks for the replys!

I don't have acccess to the Custom Modification command as we only have fundamentals. The OIP only have limited information on it, down to 'Include exterior trim', then the rest of the options are only accessable by clicking settings.

Is it possible to edit what information is displayed on the OIP so you don't have to use the Settings button?

I'll submit as a but as suggested.

Cheers,

Joe

There was a post recently about modifying multiple PIOs simultaneously, and while I don't know whether this functionality has been improved in 2009 (I'm still on 2008, and until the economy improves we'll be hard-pressed to spend money on an update), I've found it very spotty, even using the Custom Modification command, which sometimes even crashes the app.

As I said in the aforementioned post, is there any reason why multiple PIO modification through the OIP is still so poorly supported? Seems like it should be part of the basic program functionality and would be fundamental to ease of use & user-friendliness.

Regarding doors and windows specifically, we've started using WinDoor , which makes a lot of things easier, including making modifications to multiple WinDoor PIOs...

I've just downloaded the demo version of Windoor, but cant seem to get it working in VW!

I downloaded it and extracted the contents of the .zip file into the plugin folder, then restarted VW... was this right?

Mike: the Info Editor seems to be what is needed, but I would've thought that capability should be innate in the program, without having to buy an add on.....

Cheers,

Joe