"Cutting" into multiple 3D Objects

I have just upgraded to V11 from 8.5! LOOKS GREAT so far! [smile] There was one thing I tried to do with 8.5, that I was sure would be resolved in this version and maybe it has, but I have not figured it out yet. I am working on a Log Home design, and because my logs are not seen as walls, when a window or door is placed in the proper location, the opening is not automatically cut. I have worked around this by placing a cube in the position where the window or door will go, then duplicating it with DUPLICATE ARRAY for as many logs as I need to cut into, and then ... one-by-one.......cut into the log(SUBTRACT SOLIDS). This is VERY time consuming. I need to be able to cut into multiple 3D objects with one simple command. I have looked at the COOKIE CUTTER, but am unsure how to make this work (if it will work). I have to use the same "cutting" technique to create the Gable Ends by cutting into the logs. Again this is very time consuming. Any ideas on how to cut multiple 3D objects with 1 3D object?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can all the logs together and then subtract the cube from the solid addition. The success of the solid addition may be based upon how he logs are placed wrt each other - are they touching?

quote:

You can all the logs together and then subtract the cube from the solid addition. The success of the solid addition may be based upon how he logs are placed wrt each other - are they touching?

The logs are touching, and I need to keep the logs separate. Once I cut into the log I want to be able to know what the size of the new pieces are. I want to be able to still manipulate the pieces after they are "cut"