rotating a hybrid object

Hi Guys,

How do I rotate a hybrid object?

I have drawn a truss hanging at a 30? angle and I would like to have the fixtures on that truss to hang at 30? also, how do I do it ?

Can it be that hard, I've tried using the rotate 3D tool but it tells me that I can only rotate hybrid objects round he Z axis....... surely not !!

Any help appreciated

Cheers,

Dave.

I'm pretty sure it's the same for 2008:

At the bottom of the fixture OIP check the "Set 3D Orientation" box. This will let you enter values for a rotation around the X and Y axis.

HOWEVER,

If you have converted your truss to a lighting position the instruments will all insert with the Z value of that position, ie. the bottom corner of the truss. You will have to manually move all the instruments up to the truss.

hth

michaelk

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, I cant seem to do that, all I get is 2 options at the bottom of the OIP (ROTATE 3D) & (REPLACE) I have attached a screen grab of what I am seeing. if I click rotate 3D it just gives me the same options as going to Rotate 3d through the drop down menus........ ? any thoughts.

Cheers,

Dave.

When you insert your instruments use the Inst Insertion Tool, not the regular 2D Symbol Insertion tool.

This will attach all the data to the instrument symbol and let you edit the data in the OIP.

It also allows access to the Label Legend Manager to control the position of the Channel, Dimmer, Circuit, Color, Unit #,............

hth

michaelk

Hi Michael,

Just following on from your help with rotating 3D objects, I created a symbol (4 par 64's together) when i try to rotate this it produce's a weird kind of rotate (see attached) what do you think i have done wrong?

Many Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

You're doing it right. VW just doesn't understand a PAR bar.

It treats each individual instrument as its own object.

The quickest fix is to insert 4 PARs with with the Inst Insertion Tool, rotate them in the OIP, then switch to a front or side view and raise each one up enough to line up with the bar you want it to hang from. Once you get it right once, duplicate the whole group for the rest of the drawing.

Some people have played around with making a bar of 6 PARs (I assume you have the same thing over there...) a multi-circuit instrument. Treat it like a striplight. I've never been happy with that method. But I don't know of an elegant solution.

Maybe somebody else does...

hth

michaelk

Hi Guys, Thanks for theses replies, I will take a look when I get home tonight, but basically I want a bar of 4 par cans like ACL's and I want to hang them on my truss that is raked at 30?. when I rotate the symbol I created it rotates all 4 par cans 30? round their own centers rather than rotating the bar of 4 round its center. Make sense ?

Thanks For the help and input,

Best Wishes,

Dave.

I'm not sure you can rotate a hybrid object around X or Y in VW 2009. I'll have to try it.

The only issue with grouping them or making a nested symbol is that you would have to jump inside the group or symbol to edit the data.

I haven't found a good way to handle bars. Yet.

michaelk

• 3 months later...