Create Roof Tool

When trying to create a roof from walls or polygon several things may happen. 1. Roof may be created. 2. May get message saying "Cannot create roof, too complicated" or something similar. 3. VW crashes with runtime error. 4. Roof may be created but VW may crash while trying to edit roof settings or otherwise working with roof.

I have tried to figure out if there is a certain geometry that causes this, but have found that while it may create a roof for an extremely bizarre shape, it will crash or not create a fairly normal roof.

This has been a problem at least since VW 8.5 (my first VW) It was a known bug then. It was a known bug in VW 9. And now it is still in VW 9.0.1. I can understand a few bugs in a program, but what I can't understand is when a company either refuses to fix or can't fix on of the main advertised features in a program. If you can't fix somethig then take it out of the sales literature.

VW 9.0.1 and Win2000

[This message has been edited by wdickert (edited 07-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by wdickert (edited 07-16-2001).]

I did send files drawn in VW 9.0. Tech support was able to recreate problems, on Win2000 machines, with my files and also with drawings that they created. I also sent in files made in VW 8.5 when I first noticed the problem and was told that this was a known bug that would be fixed in either a maintenance update or new release (9.0). This seems to be a Windows problem and as such there have not been many posts, other than mine, (if any) to this forum, so all I have to go by is what tech tells me. If they can recreate it then its not computer specific. It would be helpful to know what experience other Windows users are having with this tool.

This sound very unusual. Please send the file and an explanation of what's happening to tech@nemetschek.net

------------------

Dan Monaghan

Marketing Director

Nemetschek North Ameria

419-290-5114

dan@nemetschek.net

[This message has been edited by Dan Monaghan (edited 07-17-2001).]

• 9 months later...

I have Windows XP and VW 9.x. I too have a problem with generating roofs. I tried to generate a roof from a polygon and i received an error. I tried generating a roof from a simple rectangle and it worked. My guess is that my polygon is too complicated. I am going to attempt to create simple roofs and then clipping them into one surface. If VW fixes this roof generating problem, I'd sure like to know.

As a Mac user I have been able to easily create hysterically complicated roofs from some very strange polygons. There are many times however when the tool to use is "create roof face". In many ways this will allow you more control and also the ability to edit each roof surface should the need arise... PLC

ChurchillLandArc, I do not know what version of VW you are using nor the error message. With that said, usually when you get an erorr when creating a roof, it is because somewhere there are walls that are not joined properly. I've seen the create roof command create roofs from some pretty complex polygons and walls. I've seen errors because one wall wasn't joined. The walls were touched, however they were not joined. The walls must be joined in order to create a room from the walls. If you are using create roof from polygon, if you used several lines to create the polygon, make sure the lines are all connected correctly and there is no space between the lines and that the polygon is checkmarked "closed" in the OIP.

There are some instances where the wall structure or polygons is just too complex to generate from the create roof command, however using the create roof face will get the job done.

If you are using VW 9.5.1 and still having problems, I suggest sending the file in to us and we can evaluate the file to see what might be causing the problem.