VW 8.5.1-- known print problems with W2000?

We are currently using VW 8.5.1 and our windows 2000 machines are producing mammoth (ie > 300M) postscript files when printing from Vectorworks. The same files printed on machines running NT4 SP6 generate 20-30M files. The large files sometime fail to print, either because they are invalid postscript or the file size is so huge the printer choke.

Upgrading to 8.5.3 is not an option as other bugs that are more of a problem come up. All printer drivers are up to date. W2000 is patched up to SP2.

Does anyone out there know of a way to correct this problem?

TIA

o

To better understand the problem, could you provide the following information -

1. What version drivers are you using?

2. Wat is the original size of the file you are trying to print?

If you have registered your copy of VectorWorks feel free to contact tech support at tech@nemetschek.net or by phone at (410) 290-5114.

Thank you,

Katie

Well, the driver versions are largely irrelevant since this problem exists no matter what printer we print to (so far we've tried 5 (across 3 different manufacturers...Xerox, QMS, HP). We aren't having any printing problems with other programs (or with Vectorworks under WinNT). Quite frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of tech support passing the buck and blaming it on print drivers....they work fine for every other program/OS combination. Vectorworks is the odd man out.

The vectorworks files that generate 300M postscript files are only 2M-5M or so. Under NT, the postscript files are 20M...not that unreasonable.

As for contacting tech support for more help...I have done so in the past. More buck passing. Why should I bother?

Don't even get me started.

Sorry for being snarly, but it's a bit of a sore point with me. I'm hoping that other *users* in this forum may have some advice/direction. Takers?

quote:

Well, the driver versions are largely irrelevant since this problem exists no matter what printer we print to (so far we've tried 5 (across 3 different

manufacturers...Xerox, QMS, HP).

For purposes of duplicating the problem the driver versions are relevant.

quote:

We aren't having any printing problems with other programs (or with Vectorworks under WinNT). Quite frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of tech support passing the buck and blaming it on print drivers....they work fine for every other program/OS combination. Vectorworks is the odd man out.

There is no "passing the buck" as there are times when the incompatibility stems from the drivers. Our intention is to get the problem resolved and not point blame. For your particular situation an allocation of more virtual memory may solve your printing issue as well. If you have further questions or would like to add any suggestions about your issues regarding printing or technical support feel free to send an email to mswilley@nemetschek.net.

Mike Swilley

Technical Support Manager

Nemetschek North America

Here they are:

Xerox Docucolor 12 w/ Fiery : v 1.1

Xerox 2025: v 1.1.5

Xerox DocuCenter 230 : v 1.1.5.6

QMS 2425: v 1.0.12d

HP LaserJet 5000: v 4.0

Like I said, the problem is equally apparent across all drivers (minor variations in file size ie. 1-3 Megs).

Hopefully this info will help, though.

Jozsef,

I could not duplicate the problem with similar sized files on Windows 2000 on VW 8.5.2. My suggestion is to try our updated 8.5.2 that can be downloaded from our website. http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/vectorworks/8.5.2_page.html

If this is not feasible for you then you could send one of the files you are printing to tech@nemetschek.net in order for more testing to be done.

You may also want to check out the following website to attain a later printer driver for your HP 5000 http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hpdesignje20992_swen.html

Hope this helps.

Edit:

You may try here for the laserjet. http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hplaserjet5313_swen.html

Mike S.

Technical Support Manager

Nemetschek North America

[This message has been edited by MikeS (edited 07-24-2001).]

I would be interested in seeing what is in a typical file of yours because certain objects can cause large print files. This typically happens with non-PostScript printers. If you have objects that use patterns, they can bloat the file with pattern definitions in PS.. but you would need lots of small objects. Send the file to me at mcbride@nemetschek.net.