dimension 3D element

I have created an 3D element for a landscape project. I want to do a constructin detail with dimensions. When I do the work on a design sheet I am able to dimension appropriately. I can do this for various views such as plan, front etc. However, when I create viewports and show on a sheet layer for presentation I am unable to produce the dimensions required. Is there a way of completing this task. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Are you creating dimensions in VP annotation? They should show up if the dimension class is set to visible in the VP Classes tab. Exit the VP annotation mode, select the VP, and in the OIP, click the Classes button which reveals a list of classes and shows visibility. This is not same as Sheet layer class visibility which is controlled in the Nav palette and elsewhere.

You probably know this, but:

VW has almost no 3d linear dimension tools (there is a way to get the length of a NURBS curve), so using the dimension tool (it's a 2d tool) to snap 3d edge end points gives the length as projected on the screen plane. Such dimensions are accurate only if the 3d edge is parallel to the screen plane.

-B