Video Card(s)

I have a curious situation: I use two monitors: one Apple 24" cinema for the drawing and a 24" Samsung for the palettes on a MacPro 4core (2x3.0GHz). The original ATI Radeon 1900 was not playing well with the Cinema display, so I got a ATI Radeon 3870. Both are connected to this.

What would be faster for Rendering: 1. both monitors connected to the newer card, or 2. Apple cinema to the new card and the Samsung to the older card?

I have 9gigs of RAM so that's never been an issue.

Mark Stech-Novak

Restaurant Consultation & Design

935 Aquarius Way

Oakland, CA 94611

Tel: 510-601-7142

Fax: 510-601-0335

Email: mark@msnrcd.com

What sort of rendering? Only OpenGL is really dependant on graphics cards. All of the other render modes are calculated by the CPU so, apart from physically displaying the results on the screen, the graphics card speed does not really come into it.

I don't know for sure, but I guess the answer to your question is not what is faster, but what performs the best (image quality and update speed) and what is the most stable and convenient. Whilst having both monitors connected to the same card may be the most stable, you may find that, depending on the relative speed of each card, sharing the tasks between the two cards may be the more user friendly once it is all set up.

As an aside, I did check out your website and thought that it may be worth noting that your home page runs the risk of being penalised by google with the use of near invisible keyword 'spamming'.

I would go with the one that supports the best opengl and has the larger memory. Not for the rendering, but just to have a burlier card when using dual monitors with lots of screen refreshing. I don't think your motherboard cares whether it's two or one card.

Your website has a lot of great names and pictures, but isn't really ripe for a good google ranking. Not enough phrase dependent searches there. I would think too, with all of the commercial volume you deal in, you could link to some suppliers and help make your website more bouyant. Just my two cents.