Anyone using Vectorworks w/ OS X?

OS X is now shipping on all new Macs. We are having a problem with Vectorworks references in a server environment. When I try to open a file while using OS X (OS 9.1 in classic mode), I get a message that says my server does not support the IP protocols required by OS X. I have no problem opening a non-referenced file under the same conditions. My server is running OS 9.1. It appears that the problem is that (Vectorworks) references files by remembering the path of the referenced file. Apparently OS X and 9.1 have different directory path structures. In OS 9.1, the path from a server which has 2 disks (partitions), is remembered by "computer name/partition name,........". In OS X, the path of the same server is remembered by "partition name/........". Hence, OS X does not include the computer name in the path, whereas OS 9.1 does. Any idea how I can get the paths to read the same between the 2 different OS's? Has anyone else run into this issue?

John,

Here's some clues from a developer working in this area:

" I think that they are having alias problems because under OS 9, they

are connecting to their fileserver using the AppleTalk protocol, while

under OS X they are connecting using TCP/IP. The AppleTalk-based alias

does not contain information on how to identify the TCP/IP-connected file

server. They should try using the Network Browser or the Chooser under

OS 9 to connect to their fileserver using TCP/IP (they should not use an

existing server alias to connect). I've forgotten the details of how to

do this when both protocols are available, but I can look for them if

necessary. After doing this, they should open the target file and use

the Reselect Document button in the Edit Workgroup Reference dialog to

reselect the source file. They should then save the target file (making

sure the mod date changes afterwards). They should then reboot under OS

X and try opening the target file. My guess is that it will access the

source file successfully."

Can you confirm what protocols you're using on each platform?

Best Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Flaherty

CTO

Nemetschek North America

flaherty@nemetschek.net

Sean ? that was my original guess as well. I tested that theory out last week and made sure my network was connecting via TCP/IP in OS 9, but it did not work. I posted the same issue on the Apple discussion board, and got the following reply regarding the path structure differences between OSX and OS9:

All paths stem from the root '/' and a partition is mounted under this in the directory Volumes. Try prepending '/Volumes/' to your path.

For example, if you have a partition called 'OS9' and a file 'myfile.txt' in a particular directory you would use this:

/Volumes/OS9/some/path/myfile.txt

Does this make sense to your tech guy working on this isssue? It appears that OS X uses a different path because of the Unix code. Please let me know what you find out---or have your tech guy call me directly. Until we get this issue resolved, OSX and OS 9.1 cannot run simultaneously on a network while using VectorWorks.

I can confirm that the file paths are different on OS X and 9.1, due to the Unix kernel beneath. I dealt with a similar networking issue under older MacOS systems. It was not a Vectorworks-specific problem.

Apple's recommendation was to run the same OS and networking software on all systems on the network. I was having protocol problems due to different versions of Open Transport.

Good Luck!