Circuits

Hi all.

Been away a while, and now SP4 is on us. Hooray for that.

Circuiting question: The whole thing, really. I placed a panel (mistakenly on a sheet layer at first, which resulted in VW telling me I didn't have any panels at all when I went to create a Panel Report!). Fixed that by putting the panel on a design layer.

Now, I'm still a bit confused. I've created all my outlets and lighting, and then I use the Circuit Tool to run circuits, but when I do, two awful things happen.

1. When I place a Home Run Marker, the label is way off somewhere else on the drawing. That makes no sense. What's up with that?

2. Even though I've only created one circuit (or so I thought) I now have four circuit records, and they're all different. When I select "Check voltages...", VW tells me the voltages are incorrect and would I like to overwrite the existing data. To which I mutter..."Existing data...?".

I tell you: I really just need to create path lines between my fixtures, and VW has made this process way more complicated than it needs to be. Since I need to actually get some work done, I'll end up building my circuit and panel schedules more quickly and accurately by just typing them in an Excel sheet and importing them that way.

Is there a good explanation of how to use the circuiting features? The manual's instructions, which I followed to the letter, resulted in my current state of confusion.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by mr. iagea
Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Charlie,

Here's what I get after running a couple of simple circuits. My home run tags seem to hang fairly close to the arrowhead(s) and can be edited/relocated by double clicking.

Thanks for responding, Wes.

Yup, I get those too. But in my case, the home run marker tag is nearly a half-page away. Try making a circuit that is much bigger than that, say over an entire 40' x 40' room, using recessed light fixtures and a wall switch.

It's quite odd.

The other issue was due to the documentation being unclear about how to properly use the Tool. After much trial and error, I've solved the problem.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 years later...

At risk of resurrecting a long-dead zombie thread, I've been trying to figure out how to use the electrical Circuiting tools in the MEP tool set and my results have been hit or miss (Mostly miss).

I've read through the user manual section on Electrical and Communication Circuiting, but it didn't help much. I've searched the forums for 'circuit', but almost all of the results are for ConnectCAD (which is not what I'm asking for help about).

I've created a panel, I've placed an electrical device, I use the Circuit tool to add the device to the Panel. But when I create the Panel Schedule, the device does not show up in the Panel worksheet. I know I'm doing something wrong.

I've requested a Course on this over at the VW University, as there is nothing on Electrical circuiting over there (except for ConnectCAD). 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Like 1