VW 2009 very slow w/ multiple pdf's

I have been working on a project that requires importing a bunch of pdf's from other design firms. VW becomes extremely slow when I add these to my design layers.

Is there something I can do to speed things up? Would it help to put pdf's on other layers in an invisible class while I'm working in a different design layer?

I'm downloading SP4 now... maybe that will help.

Would help to know what size the Pdfs are - as an example when we Export Pdfs from VW we can choose the DPI - I usually use 80 DPI - keeps the file size of the Pdf smaller

You could try importing them into a new file and then in your working file create Design layer Viewports to them - will keep your working file size smaller

It may be my imagination, but it seems like referenced pdfs respond faster than imported pdfs.

But that could just be wishful thinking in my part.

In any case, I always put each pdf on its own layer so I can control the visibility for exactly that reason. It also makes it easier to find the pdf you are looking for, if the layer name corresponds to the name of the pdf.

hth

michaelk

Edited by michaelk

PDF's hold raster (image) and vector (line) information, often simultaneously. Depending on what you are doing with the PDF, it may be worth making sure that you are being sent a pdf containing the most relevant format. For instance, if you are looking at line based files, then having it in vector format is best as you can snap to the lines.

The format may have an effect on speed.

It will help to reduce the pdf size before importing / referencing. This seems to only effect the raster part of the pdf leaving the vector part intact. I know in

Acrobat Pro>Document>Reduce File Size this option exists, also, on a mac in Preview;

Preview>Save As>Quartz Filter>Reduce File Size.

There must be an equivalent in windows.