Norton 360 issues? XP and machine design 2009

Hi Guys,

My dad needs to upgrade... (he's still on 10.5!!) but he is concerned that the reason he has to is because of compatability issues with 10.5.1 and Norton 360.

1.) Has anyone run any VW products with 360?

2.) Does anyone know if it will work or not?

Cheers

Chris

Personally, I would tell him to upgrade, then if he has any problems, get rid of Norton and replace it with something else.

I've done this to a number of PC's for people, and they all comment on how their machines spring to life once Norton is removed and replaced with something equally effective and usually cheaper/free.

You only have to try and uninstall Norton to appreciate how much of the machine its got its hooks into.

Ian,

In the past I would have agreed with you 100%, I avoided Norton products completely. I use Norton Internet Security 2009 now and the application has been rewritten from the ground up and now uses less resources than any other anti virus program out there. I am very particular about my computer and I don't even know it's installed.

There still seems to be the same old bloat on the Norton feature list, much of which is included in other products. However, if it has been rewritten with performance and foot print in mind, then that's progress and maybe I will give it a try next time I am presented with a PC with it pre-installed on.

However, these does still appear to be much duplication with other products, such as web browsers, and it is in areas where multiple hooks into the same part of the OS as other products that can cause conflicts.

Thankfully though, non of these areas are likely to be in areas where it might tangle with VW except on a possible install where I am sure the usual 'turn off antivirus' disclaimer may be invoked.

Kaspersky downloads are much faster and less intrusive, it speeds up the booting, and doesn't bother telling me things that I don't care about while it does so.

If the new version of Norton uses less resources than the previous, then that's the first time since the mid nineties.

After using it for years, I'm glad to be rid of it.

If they've made it better, I'm happy for them but I don't plan on going back and would never recommend it to anyone.

I've got things I'd rather do than spend time re-evaluating $60 software packages.

Besides, a year ago when I went to x64, Norton's 64bit product was only available on the commercial side and required a minimum purchase of five licenses.

Looks like it's still the same situation, so I doubt there was a "ground up rewrite."

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I don't know if you managed to get this issue fixed for your father but if it is still a problem here is the fix. Mainly because I am using nearly the same configuration as your dad except that I couldn't get 11 to fire up after installing Norton 360 v3.0 (v2.0 worked wonderfully).

If you contact Norton support from inside 360 and get a Norton tech support person and tell them that there is a program that will not start up after installing 360 they will install some sort of a "Hot Fix" that deals with an issue that prevents ceratin programs from starting up with 360.

After this was installed Vectorworks went on to run like a champ again (after a reboot of course).

Good Luck!