my door keep disappearing

getting so frustrated, i've been adding doors to a wall which are viewable in wireframe but disappear in open GL.

if i copy the door from another wall which is viewable it disappears in the new wall.

copied wall into new file and the doors appear again... aarrrgghhhh!!!!!

Edited by colly

You're doing it right. Right now the doors are just the same color as the walls.

A couple things might help:

1. Select a door. In the Object Info Palette click on the box for "Show 3D Open" You can even set an open angle for that door in 3D.

2. Select a door. In the OIP click on Settings. In the next box click the View tab. On the bottom right you can assign each part of the door to a class. The classes MUST be named Style-1, Style-2, or Style Glazing-1, etc.

Then you can set a default color or texture for each class.

cheers

michaelk

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Perhaps try the following:

Edit the *-WALLS MAIN class to show a texture for the Left, Center and Right for Walls.

Select Tools | Organization to bring up the dialog. Choose the Classes tab if not selected and click Edit. Choose the Walls tab and turn on textures for all 3. OK your way out of the dialogs. (If all this is obvious, then I apologize in advance).

By having a texture your doors should now be clear. Since there was no texture for either the doors or the wall, they seems to blend together depending on the flip state of the door.

Let me know if this this helps out.

Edited by Judah Warshaw

Zoom in a bit further and put an angle on the door to ensure that the plane of the wall and the door are significantly different that you will see the edges.

They are definitely there in my system but hard to spot. Otherwise its the OpenGL on your graphics card causing the issue.

Obviously the model fixed itself on my system. My attachment is of very similar view and it differs from your view, yet all I did was open the file, rotate the view and turn on OpenGL.

I can make doors appear and disappear at will simply by adjusting the angle of the view to accentuate the doors in the walls. I can zoom right into an 'invisible' door and with careful inspection, make out the frame and the step shape even though the door is 'invisible'.

Everything that I see is fully explained by the inaccuracies of rendering items of same colour on a similar plane. I can render in OpenGL, fast renderworks and final quality renderworks and with some views, final quality renderworks will show the doors but not the exact same view in OpenGL or fast renderworks simply because of the extra accuracy of final quality renderworks can pick out the edges of the change in plane.

these images show how it comes in to cinema4d.

the geometry is there but when rendered, the walss geomerty is unaltered bt the door. Its stays Dorr in wall" but its not "in" the wall... for some reason, but it is in your which is confusing??!! do you think its my libraries?

thankyou for replying by the way

Hmmmmmm

It renders fine until I try to change things. There seems to be a problem in some of the walls. Sometimes they disappear in Open GL. Changing the class of a wall part makes the drawing unstable.

Also, some of the walls are joined in strange ways...

That's why I asked if this drawing began life in VW 12, or VW 2008, and as an Architect version rather than Fundamentals. And the class structure makes me think an imported dwg may have been involved.

michaelk

thank you jeebus!!! at least i'm not the only crazy man! No its been created in fundamentals 2009 i'm resorting to subtracting holes out of a solid to show the the door... i just don't like things beating me! maybe its the wall directions.