Uniclass/ISO 13567 based Class template

I've been working on this Class template for quite some time on and off and only recently got to a stage where we could switch over to it in our office.

I had the help of others, particurlarly Chris D, so I've been keen to share it. (thought I better share it before my critiques of VWA's building modeling capabilities get me ostracised too.)

While there're a few inclusive hatches that need some work I'm really happy with the Class structure. We're finally at a stage in our office where there's always a correct place to put something. Makes a huge difference to our workflow.

It's based on Uniclass, which itself is based closely on ISO 13567.

The original template I received from Chris included Uniclass codes but after using it myself and getting some feedback from my users (and even trying it with just the codes) I settled on omitting the codes altogether and using full length names instead. It's just far more readable and easier to learn when Classes are descriptively named.

So, for example, my options were:

G2-51

or

G2 Fabric-51 WallExtl

or

Fabric-Walls-External

I went with the last one. If I get round to it I'll also post a spreadsheet that cross-references the codes with the template.

I've also included a couple of Wall Styles to demonstrate how they utilize the Classes.

It's worth noting there are also some Classes we may never use (such as the Site Prep tree of Classes, but they are part of Uniclass so they're included.)

The only improvement I'd like to make but can't (because VW limits nesting to 2 levels) is to add A- to the start of every Class, which would stand for Architect.

Edit: note that the Wall Style classing won't work in v12 the same as v2008 (in fact you may need to edit the Wall Styles in the v12 file to look right)

Edited by Christiaan

Cheers Jeffrey. Someone on the list asked, 'why so many classes?' Here's my reply:

... there're three main reasons for using classes:

To control the visibility of objects

To predefine attributes (hatches, colours, etc.) and edit them

To identify objects

In a workgroup environment each of these is extremely important in order to have a workflow that doesn't descend into chaos. If there isn't somewhere to put something (for one of the above reasons) then people end up creating their own classes. This is bad because, for one, it means they have to break their train of thought and think about what the new class should be but it's even worse because other people will think of something else and you soon have your chaos.

The other thing to remember is that this is a template, not a starting point. We start off a file with only three classes: Dimensions, Guides and None (the hard-coded classes) and then import further classes as we need them (or they come in automatically as we pull resources into the file). So any given project won't include all classes, but over time, given enough projects, most of the classes will eventually get used.

One other thing to remember is that all of our Symbols and Wall Styles are already pre-configured for the correct classes, so it's not like we need to choose a class every time we add an object.

There are a few classes in my template that even we might not use (such as the Site Prep classes) but these were part of Uniclass so I included them anyway.

• 8 months later...

This is an update to our office standard file (v2009 file).

The main changes include:

• Additional Classes added to Fabric parts-Core (mainly to assist with detailing)
  • Now includes Design and Sheet Layers
  • Updated and additional hatches (associated with Classes)

Eventually, when I get the chance, I hope to make this compatible with Standard Naming.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

A little update to our office standard template file. Main change has been to add an A- prefix to differentiate our Classes from engineers.

This will probably be the last update to this before we move onto to something based on Uniclass 2.

Just beware of the hatches associated with the membrane Classes. They can be very memory intensive and I haven't got round to adjusting them in this file.

• 4 years later...

hi Christian (and everyone)

Sorry, It sounds like you shared a file, but i’m unable to see the link.

is it still available?

I’ve been searching for ci/sfb, uniclass 1.4 or ISO 13567 kind of template. I’m not fan of the recent classification systems.

Personally I would like to try an implementation of the old sfb system, it has a very clear structure.

Maybe someone could share something like it. I would appreciate it!

thanks