Schedule.Record for Ext. door AND windows together

KBW

I havn't used the schedules or records much before, but want to, and am interested in doing this:

I want to list the info for all exterior openings, meaning Doors & Windows (which are all "on schedule" with sequential IDlabels & same bubble shape)

How can I list doors & windows together, sequentialy?

Thanks for any advice!

There is not an easy way to do this.

The schedule uses a database based on the record attached to the object. For doors this is a Door record and for windows it is a Window record. Even though they share some information (like sizes) they are not the same and you won't be able to get them to interleave.

Two options:

1. Easiest/best. You can create a single worksheet with two database sections, one for doors and one for windows. You could format it so it looks like a single list.

2. Create a custom record that you attach to every door and window. Write a Vectorscript that will pull the information from the Door/Window records and put it into your custom record. Make the schedule based on the custom record. Remember that you will have to run the Vectorscript to update the data in the custom record every time you change any doors or windows.

Actually, you don't NEED a custom record format. It can be helpful, but you can create a database worksheet and set the criteria to look for both doors and windows. You can set the worksheet to display the common fields and sort by ID.

I always suggest, that for custom database worksheets, users start with the "Create Report..." command. Choose one of the objects (door or window), the specify which fields you want to see. Accept the report and place it in the file.

Next open the worksheet up and select the database row, right-click, then select "Edit Criteria...". From here you can edit what the database worksheet is looking for, without also worrying about the fields to display.

First choose "Type" "is" "Door", then "More Choices", Add "Type" "is" "Window". Then you can choose to add more criteria like a particular layer or layers. Remember that criteria can be additive, as well as exclusionary.

Try this as a first step and let's see if we can get you farther.

I followed your instructions above and got rows in the database for both the doors and windows.

But since I made the report by using the Window record, all of the formulas are of the form 'Window'.'Transom', and since the doors don't have a window record there is no data for them.

How would you edit the column formulas to show the data for both doors and windows?

And then how would you explain how and why to do this to someone without a great deal of worksheet experience?

I am hoping that I am missing something easy about how to perform this operation.

So I tried both Pat's option #1 and Jeffrey's option. Both did something, but completely bizarre numbers and ordering, though both methods produced the same incorrectness: Both 'size' and 'R/O' numbers are consistant but wrong/weird, and there is no order to the list.

Jeffrey: I changed the criteria to include all classes and types applicable, but the table just added 64 title rows (which I can't alter) to the previous window-only info.

Pat: How do I get two database sections?

I think I am having more problems with the worksheets than just how to get the doors AND windows listed...

Thanks so much for your help ... any more would sure be appreciated!

You can convert any row in a worksheet to a database row. Just click on hold in the row header and select Database and enter your criteria. Then just type the formulas you need in to the header row.

You can also use the Create Report and click the Options button. One of the options is to put the database into an existing worksheet.

Until you specifically sort the database the order is random. Select a row in the database and then drag one of the sort "tiles" (they look like up and down bar charts) to the column header to sort by that column. You can sort by up to 3 columns at once.

The 64 blank rows are probably items that have been added to the criteria, but don't have the record specified in the formulas. Try adding new columns (or just changing the formula in some columns to =L and =C and =T

The L should give you the layer of the object. C the class and T the type of object.

These should exist for every object regardless of the type.

Here is the file (or as much of it as I could send under 5MB), hopefully I didn't delete anything which altered the worksheets too much.

Thanks so much both of you.

I will study up on all this over the weekend.

Geez, guys, give me a chance to respond first before jumping ship...

KBW,

I've set up a worksheet in the file you posted. Using the IF function in a database worksheet can open up many doors (no pun intended).

I would suggest that if you are going to list doors and windows together, they should all have a unique number, so there are no duplicate IDs. Otherwise, take Pat's suggestion and create 2 database rows in the same worksheet.

Once you have the worksheet in place, remember that you can edit the values in the database worksheet to change them in the object. This bi-directional functionality is a very powerful feature in managing door & window data as your design progresses over time.

Jeffrey et al:

This is excellent. I copied your formulas into my actual dwg, sorted it, and nearly got what I wanted. However, the list included ALL doors (hence the duplicate numbers, though they have different bubbles).

So I turned off Auto-Classing and created separate classes for Int. & Ext. doors, then edited the database to exclude the 'Door-Interior' class. It worked. I can't think of any other way to separate them (even labeling ABC would put them on the same list?)

I was even able to add some new columns successfully! My, what I can learn from a bunch of experts! Thanks all of you. Now I have to study up and be able to figure it out on my own...

ONE LAST PROBLEM: I can't edit any of the cells, ie: to add a model # from the worksheet. The command line is greyed out for all cells.

ONE LAST PROBLEM: I can't edit any of the cells, ie: to add a model # from the worksheet. The command line is greyed out for all cells.

Ooops! My bad! It turns out, when you use the "IF" to include more than one record (in this case a Door AND/OR Window), the two-way interactivity directly inside a cell is disabled. If it was a simple data filed header [e.g. =('Door'.'Manuf'], then the cell editing would work.

You can still right-click on the Row Header and 'Select Item' will navigate to the object to edit, though.

This led to an interesting discussion with one of our engineers and some ideas for how to improve functionality in the future....