Symbols & layer scale

Is it the typical work flow to create symbols for a standard layer scale like 1/4"=1'-0" and always draw in that scale in design layers? Then rescale viewports as needed in sheet layers?

Is there a way to make symbols at 1-1 / actual print size and have them scale to the current layer scale? We usually have a different set of symbols scaled to either 1/4"=1' or 1/8"=1'.

Some things like space/room labels do not rescale well. The text can be re sized but their placement does not adjust so the text ends up overlapping if a viewport gets scaled down.

When we had a trainer here from VectorWorks he told us we did not need to have symbols for different scales but it seems to me that we do because the symbol geometry does not scale with viewport scale. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying or maybe I am missing something.

I have also created duplicate elevation keys in 1/4 and 1/8

The section viewport just doesnt have a simple triangle w/ detail/sheet option which could scale to the viewport. i just turn off the section style class. I have the same question. I'm an old user open to new ways of doing things. I'll try follow this thread.

This is my first post so be kind i'm still trying to feel around this board - Should help with the occasional issue.

Layer Scales in VW are kind of like a preset zoom factor. It does not matter what they are set for regarding symbols as you draw the symbols using real dimensions and they should then resize for whatever layer scale you put them on.

That is for the dimensions. You might want to draw the symbols at a scale close to what you are going to use them on so you can get a more WYSIWYG appearance of line weights.

You should not need to have defferent sets of symbols for 1/4" and 1/8"

Try this experiment. In a new file create layers at 1/4" and 1/8". Draw a 5' x 5' rectangle and make a symbol out of it. Now insert the symbol on the other scale layer and put some dimensions on it.

Also draw a 5' diameter circle on one layer. Cut and Paste it to the other scaled layer and put dimensions on it.

In both cases, the dimensions should be what you originally drew the object at.

Layer Scales in VW are kind of like a preset zoom factor. It does not matter what they are set for regarding symbols as you draw the symbols using real dimensions and they should then resize for whatever layer scale you put them on.

I am referring to section and elevation tag symbols. The problem is that the finished plot size of detail tags and text should be constant no matter what the scale. To achieve this you either have to have symbols for each scale or place the symbols loose on the sheet layers at 1-1, unless there is another option?

I'm with you, well stated David. Yes, dimensions do take on the appropriate scale and text size in diferently scaled viewports but a 'tag' is a different story.

I tried to have auto generated section viewport keys visable but no luck making them visable inside veiwports, they will print from the original layer though. (may be a work around if you aren't already committed to viewports) that is, referencing in layers at different scales (including section veiwport symbol)may allow them. i'll try this...no solution yet...

It may be a solution if we can get them to show up in veiwports elevation style arrow looks close(but no cigar) to what i use as an elevation tag. Where I previously worked they has a vectorscript that converted 1 to 1 symbols to the relative scale of the layer it was inserted/placed on, called 'scaleomatic' that worked fine but lost the placeholder attributes and other symbol functionality. Still looking for a solution...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, It has been awhile but have you guys found a solution for scaling symbols?

My issue here is that I have created simple electrical symbols for the electrical plans. We usually have different viewports with different scales (1:20, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200) showing different details and they all need the electrical symbols to be on. I have created them in a good size for a 1:100 drawing. When we use the viewport with 1:50 scale, for example,  it would scale the symbol to be twice the original size, however in this scale I would like the symbols to be a bit smaller. So, I would like them to scale but with a different ratio. Similar to what happens to the drawing labels created in the annotation layer. To manage all changes in the project it would be ideal to use the same symbol and not having many of the same drawn to suit different scales. 

Pam

Pammv, use page based symbols for electrical.  They will then be the same size no matter what the scale of the Viewport is or the scale of the Design Layer.

It is an option within the Symbol Options edit choices in the Resource Browser.  If you are going to change the option for existing Symbols make sure you are in a 1:1 scale Layer when you do it.

• 4 years later...