Workspaces & Engineering & GD & T

I posted another message on this a few days ago which pleaded to include the GD&T menu item in a pre-established Workspace (like the Mechanical Engineering workspace in VW 8.5) such that this feature could be used in VW 9.0.0 or 9.1.

I believe that this would take little effort on the programmer's part as I have been able to at least partially use VW 8.5 files to gain this capability in 9.0, however, it is not optimum. It is best used as a menu item but I have brought it in as a pallet from the old 8.5 files.

Seems to work OK but I have to say that I feel it was a pretty major error to leave out a wide variety of features from the pre-established workspaces in VW 8.5.

From an engineering point of view, these should be available in any CAD program.

Maybe a download could be done which creates the workspaces for VW9.0 and are downloadable from the website?

• 2 weeks later...

The way I loaded 9.0 kept my 8.5.2 files in tact. I think this is important.

Open 9.0 and close the "new" blank document. Hit File and Open. Browse to where your 8.5.2 files are. Go to the Toolkit folder, then the Mechanical Engineering folder then to the Tools and Commands folder and open the file "GeomDim&Tol. When the file opens a pallet shows up in the document giving you access to all the GD&T features of 8.5.2. Save this document as a template (after you make any other adjustments you want to make to create a template).

That's how I did it.

Where can I find more information about VWEngineer? I am beginning to think that I might return VW 9.0.0, go back to 8.5.2 and maybe wait for VW Engineer......

The GT&T commands are in the 8.5 Compatability folder on the VW9 install CD. If you need help please tech@nemetschek.net

I don't have any news regarding VW Engineer.

------------------

Dan Monaghan

Marketing Director

Nemetschek North Ameria

419-290-5114

dan@nemetschek.net

• 1 month later...

dlrose,

copy the required folder, in this case "Feature Control Frame.....vsm", to your VW9.0.1 Plug-ins folder. Launch VW9 and then go to File>Workspaces>Workspace Editor, make the appropriate selection, then Menus>Design>Feature Control Frame. On the right hand pane select where you would like to access this menu command from, I put mine in Tool>Drafting Aids, drag the "Feature Control Frame" from the left pane to the left pane.

This is explained in Appendix B of the VW Users Guide. The Workspace can be customised to suit your preferences adding or deleting menus, tools and key commands that you are more likely to require. There are other items of interest in the 8.5 Compatability folder of the CD, and, in VW9.0.1>Resources>Samples>3D Primitive Objects folder of the program that can be added to the the Plug-ins folder and added to your workspace also.

This program is so flexible... it's Brilliant!

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards smile.gif