Working with 3D and 2D modeling

I am pretty new to this and just started playing around with 3D.

My question is how should my work flow go?

I need to design a part that I will send prints to our machinist. I would like the 3D so as to export to their CNC. However, I also need to dimension the part in 2D.

2D and 3D seem to be two different animals. That is, I can create a 3D part, but it appears that I have to also create a 2D part from scratch, too, then add the dimension lines and annotation.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a way to link the two (3D and 2D renderings) so that changes in one are back annotated in the other?

Thanks in advance,

Marv

You could try doing the layout drawing in viewports and sheet layers. I draw just one 3D model, then create all kinds of viewports, depending on how I need to send it to the shop floor.

so i just draw it once (3D) then do all the 2D dimensioning I need to in viewports on a sheet layer.

This way you can just modify the 3D drawing and have all your 2D stuff change with it.

sorry for the rambling format, but I'm waiting for paint to dry.

HTH,

Jeff

You could try doing the layout drawing in viewports and sheet layers. I draw just one 3D model, then create all kinds of viewports, depending on how I need to send it to the shop floor.

so i just draw it once (3D) then do all the 2D dimensioning I need to in viewports on a sheet layer.

This way you can just modify the 3D drawing and have all your 2D stuff change with it.

sorry for the rambling format, but I'm waiting for paint to dry.

HTH,

Jeff

Thank you. I am getting the idea now. I am working with one of the tutorials (ValveArm.mcd) and learning about view ports. Seems to do exactly what I want.