divide wall

OK. Here's how I do it: 1) Option Click on the Wall (which will create one exact copy in the exact same location; 2) Drag the right hand end of one wall the left, to shorten it, just beyond the left hand wall which creates the bay; 3) Select the wall the is still full length and drag its left hand end to the right, thereby shortening it to just beyond the right hand wall of the bay. 4) Re-join the two exterior (re-entrant) corners.

I've been doing it this way for years...

One other option, which may work better in cases where a bay is NOT full height: Use a cased opening (but, as you have undoubtably discovered this creates all sort od problems in plan view (where the wall still shows).

Hope that helps, P

OK, OK . Nice resolution

i thought that vectorworks could split a wall in two ... and i wasnt viewing the big picture. Thats a shame.

By the way how do i insert a "hole" in a wall without using case opening (in elevation) ? supously split would work as i seen somewhere in the internet but i can't make it work...

thx in advanced

perhaps i am mixing 3d solids and walls .. . . in 3d we just subtract a solid right ? thats why i asked if it was possible that way we could also divide a wall in two. but i understand thats isnt just possible.

For what i was told revit as an option similar to our split tool that splits walls and draw holes in walls (i thing is edit wall).

Vectorworks would gain much in having such a tool, like floor pio has, we just click and edit it to our needs...

Thx anyway four your help :)

OK, OK . Nice resolution

i thought that vectorworks could split a wall in two ... and i wasnt viewing the big picture. Thats a shame.

By the way how do i insert a "hole" in a wall without using case opening (in elevation) ? supously split would work as i seen somewhere in the internet but i can't make it work...

thx in advanced

You can split a wall with the split tool! Selecte the wall, use the split tool while holding alt on the wall and your wall will be in two!

I use this method all the time and it is really handy.

It also solves the problem where the wall doesnt show correctly. When it shows incorret, just split it somewhere.

Hello, again :)

Nice indeed DWorks, i knew that it could be done, even in elevation (front for example) it works.

I was using clip instead of split, so thats why i could not divide the wall .... stupid of me he!he!he!

Curiously like highpass says i didnt noticed any diference neither.

Is there a very very very good manual that explains vectorworks in its maximum power , principly the power of bim and the tricks in it ?

• 13 years later...

I am working on a 3d model and the architect usually wants just a white vanilla box model.  Now he wants me to show cladding, which I have figured out how to do on walls where cladding is all the same. However there are 2 walls with split horizontal cladding.  Can I split the wall horizontally to show the 2 different cladding materials or do I need to redraw the walls and stack them?

2 minutes ago, jmhanby said:

Can I split the wall horizontally to show the 2 different cladding materials or do I need to redraw the walls and stack them?

you can copy the walls in place, change their height for the bottom wall.  The grab the duplicates and change their bottom offset.  You can then change the walls to appropriate styles to get what you want.

That’s the pinnacle of stacked wall technology in Vectorworks at this time unfortunately.  We’ve all been asking for a better tool for this for ages.

• Like 1