file size too bigwhen exported to dwg

Roger Webster

Question

I'm running VW 2009 on a Mac, working on a landscape plan. Colleagues have sent a CAD file for my input which I have imported and amended in Vectorworks; I now need to export and email back to them. The CAD file i received was 5MB. Exporting my VWX file to Dwg, the smallest I can make it is 34.9MB, and this was by first copying and pasting to a new VWX file only the relevant parts, cutting out the rest. My VWX file is only 2.3 MB. The drawing is a simple 2D plan but includes some hatches (on their CAD file) and some plant symbols (added by me using Vectorworks). How do I make the file smaller so that I can email it?

Roger Webster

5 answers to this question

Thanks to all who replied but I'm still puzzled as to why my small vectorworks file - 2.3 MG - becomes so huge and cumbersome when exported - 34.9 MB. Using a compressor reduces it to 32.5MB, so not much difference. In this case I burned the file to disc and hand deliveed it, but I'd like to think there is a better way if only can find it. I'm continuing to look through the manual.