Solar animations

mrfrood

I'm trying to do a solar analysis of a passive solar house I'm designing but I'm running into a bit of a glitch.

The solar animation creates the video without any problems, but what I am finding is that the sun position does not correspond to my global position. The site is in Canada, about 43 deg latitude, my winter animation has the sun coming from about 60 deg off the horizon, which, as anyone from Canada can tell you is plainly impossible.

When I change the Latitude to see if I can offset the problem there is no change in the shadows, even when I input 10 deg latitude. Has anyone encountered this problem?

1) Make sure that there is no (active/on) SUN in the file prior to running the command (if there is it will create an erroneous static shadow).

2) Make sure the file is rendered in Final Quality RW's prior to invoking the command.

3) In the Solar Animation dialog, make sure that the Lat/Long is set correctly, that the date is correct, and that the Page North is correct..

3) For faster results change the "minutes per daylight frame" setting to something reasonable, like 30 minutes per frame. You can always increase it later if you need more accuracy. (Remember that each frame must render -- it's sort of like a giant digital flip-book).

Let us know if that helps.