How to Convert a 3D point to an altitude !!!

Hello to all,

I received thousands of 3D points from a surveyor.

I was able to create contour lines in the DTM menu...

The issue is that some of those 3D points represent tree heights and would like the Z value to appear next to the point.

Is there a way to do that?

Thank you for you help. :)

You could convert to stake object and set the stake object to show the elevation as text.

If you import a text file as survey data (a number of formats are available), it will give you stake objects automatically. You can then do a manual bulk select then set display to include elevation - do not set more to show as 2D graphic only as the elevation will be incorrect.

Alternatively, if you have 3d points, you could try using get3dcntr to get the Z value and then display this as text next to the 3D point.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you IanH for your answer. I used your "stalking" technique and I was able to manage but I was not able to find a script that would allow to display the z of a 3D point automatically. I had to input the z of each point manually...

Have a good day :)

Hi

Im not 100% sure what you want, so will give two responses. You answer may be a combination of both.

Response 1:

The Z value of the is the elevation. In the OIP of the selected stake object (you can select multiple stake objects and do it as one) set the field 'Lavel Reference' to 'elevation' This will then show the elevation for the stake. Do not set the mode to 'Use as 2D graphic only'.

You can import survey data in a number of formats from a text file such as Easting, Northing, Elevation and variations on the theme. This will automatically create stake objects and set the correct Z coordinate/elevation.

Response 2:

If you have a DTM/Site model, then you can create stake objects that automatically take their elevation from the interpolated DTM values. Again, set label reference as 'Elevation', however, this time set the mode as 'Set elev to site model' and select whether you want to take the elevation from the existing or proposed DTM.

There are a number of ways of creating the initial DTM.

HTH.