Trying to make a boat

I am trying to draw the bottom of a boat, well actually the entire boat. The bottom is hard because it sort of tapers in 3 directions. I have a thought that there might be a way of lofting it in some sort of manner that would be useful and it is tricky to explain. I am attaching a file that illustrates what I am talking about and has more explanation.

I want to create a profile and top half of the boat and loft them together. Is this possible?

Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to draw it?

I have models of boats and things like it I can use, but none are really what I need, but I am thinking if I can figure out how to do this I can make more closely what I need. So what I am saying is yes I know 3d warehouse has models of boats, but I need to learn how to fish not be given a fish. However the saying goes.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt

You're almost there.

There are a bunch of ways to do it. But using what you have right now, I just tried this and it worked.

Turn the top port curve into a nurbs curve. Turn just the keel of the side view into a nurb.

Position them in 3D so the bow points meet. Add the profile of the stern to the keel.

Draw a polyline for the curve one side of the hull. Convert to nurbs.

Loft w/ two rails. Select the two rails first, then the profile of the hull. Then the green checkmark.

That gives you a nurbs surface for 1/2 the hull. Reverse and repeat.

_____

You could also R&R the the port side curve, convert both to nurbs, draw a profile for the entire hull and loft that with 2 rails.

I'm feeling all nautical (mis)using all these terms.

Happy fishing

michaelk

Edited by michaelk

I just tried what I think is what both of you all are saying. I must of done something wrong. I am posting some screen shots to help. Do you see where my problem is at all?

My end result appears to look like a twisted bannana peel.

I am hoping the pictures help because I do not know how to explain what may be going wrong.

Matt