non-print class?

You can convert objects, including lines to guides.

VW automatically locks those objects and creates a guide class.

You can set this class to invisible when printing or use the Hide Guides, Show Guides, Select Guides, Delete All Guides etc commands.

hth

michaelk

I have brought this up before. If people have to remember to turn off a specific class before printing, half the time they won't remember. I don't know how many times I have seen stuff printed and even submitted with layout grids and other stuff printed because someone forgot to turn off the class.

Using saved views helps but again, you have to do something extra before printing.

Unless you use guides to layout modules on your sheet layers then you still have to turn them off. I try to lay out things by the module grid in the design layers as much as possible and don't show the modules on the sheet layers but everyone in my office has always laid out the sheets on the sheet layers so they use the guides. They are used to drawing things anywhere they feel like on design layers and positioning the viewports on the sheet layers. I am trying to get them away from that practice and draw in place on design layers and just DLVP the whole layer.

David prior to the introduction of Sheet Layers we used Design Layers as you describe in conjunction with Saved Views.

It sounds like the biggest hurdle you face is getting your users out of their one Model Space Autocad mindset. Understanding these basic concepts may help them adjust to Vectorworks' way of working:

• Vectorworks has multiple Model Spaces (Design Layers) which are vertically stacked on top of each others. This allows you to model or draw the floors of a building directly on top of each other.
  • There is a virtual piece of paper on Design Layers which they need to work on. Make sure Show page boundary is switched on in Page Setup and that they understand that this shows the extent of that virtual piece of paper.
  • That you work at the required scale on Design Layers. Make sure that no one works at a scale of 1:1 and that they understand that working at a particular scale does not have any affect on the accuracy of the program (accuracy is determined by the unit settings).
  • Layers are the where (eg. floors of a building) and Classes are the what (eg. brick walls, timber framed walls etc.
  • Vectorworks Classes are the same as Autocad Layers, and each Vectorworks Design Layer is the equivalent of Autocad's Model Space.
  • Sheet Layers are the equivalent of Autocad's Paper Space

There are two example projects by NNA's Jeff Oullette in the BIM section which can be downloaded. These will show you how projects should be structured on Design Layers and Sheet Layers. http://www.nemetschek.net/bim/projects.php

Actually I am the only old school AutoCAD user in the office and everyone else has been using vectorworks for years. The problem is they have never updated their templates and drawing structure until I came along. I have set up the new drawing structure based mostly on the sample projects you mentioned with conventions to adapt some things to the way everyone is used to drawing here and to make things more multi-user friendly. It is working quite well for organizing our drawings and making things more dynamic but the drafters need to get out of their old school vectorworks way of thinking.