Better Walls & Floor Plans as horizontal Sections - New Type of Layer

Thomas Wagensommerer

Question

Layers should have an option whether they are 1.) the equivalent of tracing paper, or a 2.) vertical spatial container.

1. "Tracing Paper" Layer

Everything would be as it is now.

2.) "Spatial" Layer

Hybrid and 3D objects would appear on every layer according to their actual 3D dimensions. We could draw walls that span several stories (without the problem of seam lines in sections and elevations). The need to draw vertical building elements several times on several layers would disappear.

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2009 at 10:13 AM, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

Layers should have an option whether they are 1.) the equivalent of tracing paper, or a 2.) vertical spatial container.

1. "Tracing Paper" Layer

Everything would be as it is now.

2.) "Spatial" Layer

Hybrid and 3D objects would appear on every layer according to their actual 3D dimensions. We could draw walls that span several stories (without the problem of seam lines in sections and elevations). The need to draw vertical building elements several times on several layers would disappear.

The spatial layer is the elimination of the idea of layers altogether - and move more to a Revit like the system of views and levels.  I like the philosophy - where the entire model is essentially a hybrid object and plans are dynamically drawn by plan cuts.  Levels would be used to associate objects to stories, but as you say - objects would be free to be any height  and span across multiple layers without worry about them not being represented.  

This is a HUGE conceptual change - and I am on board.

There is also a BIM Discussion. In my opinion there would be tremendous benefits from the proposed type of layer an wall implementation.

On 2.10.2016 at 11:40 AM, lineweight (née col37400) said:

Every single project I work on has multiple elements that can't be dealt with using the standard tools....

There are also basic issues with creating proper floorplans in roof spaces...

... these things come down to limitations of wall objects - arguably the most basic architectural element there is....

Have been drawn to this thread by being quoted above.

Agree that having elements that can span several layers/stories and show up on the floorplan for each would solve a lot of problems.

I also think that plans should be generated as horizontal section. Top/plan view is a mess. I made a thread about that here:

Meanwhile I am going to check out that plugin...

This would be a great idea.  The problem occurs whenever anyone mentions that they have a 'workaround'.  This just means a bodge, not fixed or working properly, just a bodge.  I am getting tired of 'workarounds'.  Can  VW please try and produce tools that represent actual construction methods and not representations.

• Like 2

I'd gladly accept several years of Vectorworks releases with no new features, if it meant that all these problems with the way floor plans work could be sorted out - properly and thoroughly. No more "workarounds". I agree with Kevin C - if you need a workaround, it means it doesn't work.

• Like 2

I missed this link the first time around; what a great idea! Kudos Thomas! Thanks for bringing it forward again Kevin-C

To make it work would as Kevin-C & line-weight say would fix a number of clunky-bits in VW; allowing a proper user defined Section Plane where a plan is cut & illustrated in  TOP/PLAN would be just one  big winning idea. 

For me to make this truly awesome would be to allow a seamless transition from 3D mass modelling to working drawings. By that I mean allowing a 3D mass models to be converted to a series of PIO's like walls, roofs & slabs. 

Hope our pals with the propeller toped beanies are listening...

:D

Was rereading thread and half a page in before I realized the age. Still mostly applicable, reaction still mostly the same. 

This to me is still a return to the mental model of paper drafting. A lot of people say the drawings are flat but they never were, they are slices of the physical building with the draftsperson needing to work out what is applicable..

despite the marketing material, still no horizontal plan sections or the reflected version and the story model is still overly restrictive.

• Like 1