Create similar object

Sometimes when I try to use the create similar object function it gives me an error telling me that there the selected object has no associated tool in the current workspace.

I right click on a window then select create similar object and I get this error. Sometimes it works but not in this drawing.

I can create a new window without any problems so I dont know what is up with this.

HMM, I am pretty sure I was selecting objects on the current layer and nothing was in a group. With this drawing I can not use the create similar tool on anything at all. Would stacking order of layers effect this even if modify others is not set?

Yes it does.

That's where the preselection highlight turns out quite informative.

You should perhaps play with the settings in the Vectorworks Preferences > Interactive > Interactive Appearance Settings.

You should try to modify the colors for having a clearer distinction between active elements and non-active.

Aside of that it is quite a great way to learn how VW "thinks".

orso

The thing is, the door or window or wall is highlighted when I try to use the create similar object function. I was tweaking a model so I had roof and frame layers on using the frame as a guide to draw column enclosures and adjust window positions etc. I didn't think the stacking order would make a difference at all with modify others turned off.

I think it would be useful to have the option to see other layers but only select or work with objects on the current layer.

see other layers but only select or work with objects on the current layer.

You can do that, please in the Navigation Palette select the tab "Design Layers", which is the second from the left. Below the icon you'll see "Layer Options". Select "Show others".

When this option is active you cannot snap, select or work on other layers, but you see them.

The stacking order is always relevant in VW.

orso

Maybe I am not being clear.It is the stacking order that is messing things up because I use create similar object a lot but I have to turn layers off and on or reverse my stacking order to use it. It's just more hassle than it needs to be. It would make more sense, to me anyway, to not be able to select objects from other layers with all tools and functions unless select and modify others is turned on.

It just seems like a bug to me.

• Like 1

I understand now what you mean.

Personally I don't find this a bug, on the contrary, I find it a feature.

It is in the nature of this tool to overcome all limits normally imposed by the other visibility settings.

Stacking order excepted.

What would you like to see?

* activate Create Similar Object and then

* cycle between the possible objects along their stacking order hierarchy? For example pressing a key?

Or rather, enter a criteria string to limit the context where the Create Similar Object tool should operate?

Now to your problem. VW 2009 shipped with -among other- three new features:

* enhanced highlighting

* Visibility tool

* Create Similar Objects tool

I think that you can recognize the interdependency of these three features.

The stacking order is not addressed directly by any of these tools, but a great help is given by the Visibility tool. Working by keys and mixing Create Similar and Visibility tool, you should be able to obtain what you wish in almost all cases.

You have only problems with large overlapping surfaces, and this should be easily be dealt with the Visibility tool: these surfaces should be classed differently, shouldn't they?

When you have a visibility setting that is good for you, you might like to save it in a "Saved View". In most cases you need to have only a couple of these visibility settings stored for working.

Again this doesn't address the stacking order.

But mind: the stacking order is a great feature of VW. If we didn't work this way we couldn't do layouts so nice as we can.

Orso

I have no complaints about stacking order really, The layers are one thing I really like about VW compared to AutoCAD and that is a huge deal coming from a life long AutoCAD ADT user like myself.

I have not used the visibility tool much so I will need to check out all the options.I just figured that when layer settings are not set to "modify others" and I can't select objects on other layers unless my layer settings are set to modify others it just doesn't make sense to me that objects on other layers would prevent me from selecting something on the current layer.

I figure the layer options should be all that is needed.

If it something in the programming that makes the create similar object ignore the layer settings then is it possible from a programming perspective to have the tool follow the layer settings.Everything else seems to.

This isn't a huge deal or anything, I am just trying to understand the program better and I am always trying to refine my work flow.

David,

you are absolutely right: that tool is an exception.

It doesn't work like the others. It springs the rules of the general behavior.

It also changes class, perhaps you noticed.

There has been long-term users who made exact the same remarks as you do. You do already understand the program well.

It is a bridge, so to say.

I'd say, either you like it because of this bridge-behavior, or you don't.

I kind of perceive that you are one of those that soon will like it.

But mind: this behavior is not a glitch in the programming. Has been developed as such and in full awareness to cover a need.

I need it so.

Nevertheless I think that your wish for the tool to be conform to the general standards of visibility is fully right. Perhaps NNA can consider this as a preference setting of the tool.

orso

Yes, it changes your active class to ensure that the new object goes on the same class as the source. Nice feature but I have to get used to the switching classes.

The same tool in ADT picks up the attributes of the source for the new object but doesn't switch your active layer/class. When doing a variety of different things and laying out geometry in a design I usually stay in a nplt class for sketching and I end up sketching in wall, door or window classes. I just have to get used to it.

• 7 years later...
On 5/19/2009 at 9:29 PM, HOUCAD said:

It just seems like a bug to me.

Seems the same for me.

In the older versions was better. It should work as all the rest of the commands, and recognize only the layers you want to work in. What's the need of a command that recognize other layers if it doesn't allows you to use tools from other layers?

fix it pls

Edited by MYX