Can't print to grayscale or at all

MKingsley

Question

This may be an OS issue, but after trying to save to PDF with the grayscale option in the Mac print dialogue, I'm still getting color on the output. It shows up with color in the PDF but I can then open the PDF in Adobe and print to grayscale from there.

And now I'm not able to print at all directly from VW to either my HP All-in-one or HP 9800. Both printers just spit out blank pages. This happened with 10.5.6 and with the latest 10.5.7. I've tried to reset the printers, repair permissions, restart everything with no luck. Printer works fine in other applications.

I got three pages out of the HP 9800 this morning and now nothing. Has this happened to anybody else? My specs are below.

3 answers to this question

Michael, it sounds like perhaps there are two different things going on here... Not sure it will work, but try this:

1) For creating grayscale PDF's: Use the PRINT dialog as usual, choosing Save As PDF, choose Desktop as location. Don't worry about color vs grayscale... Next open the new PDF in PREVIEW, and then go to FILE>SAVE AS. In the Quartz Filter pulldown choose "Grayscale" , now SAVE (rename or replace as desired). Now you should have a full-res (as per your DPI settings from VW's) grayscale PDF.

2) Your printers... Hmmm, these problems can be tricky. First thing I would do is turn everything off (printers and computers) and then restart. This should clear all of the electronic brains in the room. Now try to print... If it still doesn't work post back.

Thanks guys for your responses.

Ian, it's when I try to control the color in the print dialog that is the issue. I used to be able to select a grayscale print and then get a grayscale print output. The option is still there but not the correct result.

Peter, like I said earlier, I was able to save as PDF in Adobe Reader and change the print to grayscale in that application and it printed fine. I tried it with Preview too and the same was true. I used to be to able to print to grayscale directly from VW without having to go through a PDF reader. Can you print to grayscale in your setup directly from VW?

As for the second issue, I restarted everything and am still getting blank pages being spit out out me, and only in VW. When I click on the preview button in the print dialogue I see the image just fine, albeit not in the grayscale I want. The same is true with it trying to print in color, the image is fine in the preview window and then blank from the printer.

Thanks again for your help.